So, the time has finally come, that old wood stain you’ve been putting off for a while needs to be removed. But removing wood stain can be incredibly hard without the right remover.
You might spend several hours trying to remove it by hand, and you might not even be able to get anywhere.
But as hopeless as you might feel, we are here for you. We’ve made a list with the best wood stain remover so you can easily remove that old wood stain that looks horrible on your house.
Now you don’t have to spend that much time trying to find the right tools to remove your old wood stain.
RMR-86 Instant Mold & Mildew
5 out of 5
Nature’s Miracle Hardwood Floor Cleaner
5 out of 5
FDC C2H204 PURE OXALIC ACId
4.5 out of 5
OxiClean Versatile Furniture Stain Remover
4 out of 5
Rejuvenate Cabinet & Furniture Restorer
4.5 out of 5
Our Top 10 Best Wood Stain Remover
Choosing the right wood stain remover means you’re finally going to get rid of that annoying stain. On the other hand, choosing the wrong one may lead to undesired results. So, here are the top 10 wood stain stripper.
1. RMR-86 Instant Mold & Mildew Stain Remover For Wood
Do you need to remove the annoying stain that’s been sitting on your wood for quite a while? We got you. This stain remover is everything you will ever need.
If you’ve ever applied any stain remover, you know they tend to leave a horrible odor behind once it is applied. And it just makes it way worse.
The stain is still there, and you know you have to somehow get rid of that smell it left behind. But, with this remover, you don’t have to worry about unwanted odors when used.
If your stain has been sitting on the wood for a long time, it is probably profoundly embedded. Removing it by hand might be incredibly hard, and you might not get anywhere. This is where this wood stain cleaner shines the most.
You can simply spray it over the stain and remove any deeply embedded stain like it’s nothing.
Mould stains are the root of all your problems. That alone slowly ruins your wood, and it keeps growing until there’s nothing left. Removing that annoying mold stain is quite simple. You simply need to use this stain remover to make it disappear. Now you won’t ever see it again on your beautiful wood.
- Works on a wide array of surfaces
- Helps to remove stain from different objects
- Super-easy and smooth application
- Doesn’t produce any unwanted odor
- Removes stains super-quick
- GET RID OF STUBBORN MOLD AND MILDEW STAINS: Our instant spray cleaner removes the stains left behind from...
- REMOVE UNWANTED ODORS: Keep your home free of musty, damp smells that are usually left behind by other...
- FAST-ACTING SPRAY: Our fast-acting mold stain remover spray, instantly targets deeply embedded stains...
- NO SCRUBBING NEEDED: Simply spray our ready-to-use formula on the affected area and watch the stains...
2. Nature’s Miracle Hardwood Floor Cleaner
This product is the ideal product for anybody who wants to remove old stains and odors. It also helps when you want to use it on your floor but don’t want to cause any damage to it.
Everyone loves this floor cleaner. It is safe for pets and homes. This is super important If you want to get a floor cleaner but are worried that it affects your pet’s health. Nonetheless, you should read the back of the product to learn more about this.
Furthermore, this excellent stain stripper is capable enough of removing any stain that is on its way. When you get this product, you can sleep well at night, knowing that any stain you want to remove from your wood can be easily removed with this spray.
No need to worry about your wood being damaged after using this floor cleaner. It can be safely used on your wood, and it won’t leave any marks behind.
Is there any pet stain your cat or dog left after it did its thing? Well, now you can safely remove any urine stain and remove the odor. Make it look like it was never there.
They also have strict policies to make sure you get the results you want. If it doesn’t work as you expected it would work, you get your money back.
- Removes deep & difficult stains
- Gets rid of odors and stuck matter
- It safely removes any stain it finds on its way
- Works well on natural floors & smooth surfaces
- Completely safe and reliable on any surface
- STAIN AND ODOR REMOVER: This product is ideal for removing stains and odors caused by urine, fecal...
- USE AREAS: Nature’s Miracle Hard Floor Cleaner safely works to remove new and deep-set stains and odors...
- PROTECTS NATURAL FLOOR FINISH: The bio-enzymatic formula cleans deeply while protecting the natural floor...
- SAFE FOR PETS AND HOME*: We’ve been loved by pet parents for over 35 years, so we know the importance...
3. FDC C2H204 PURE OXALIC ACID Powder Stain Stripper
This is an excellent wood stain remover solvent for those folks who want to get rid of any stain they may have somewhere in their woods.
More so, is a household chemical that you must get. There are times where you need to get rid of stains, but it can be hard without the proper remover. This is where it comes in handy—no need to stress over some random stain anymore.
It is 99.6% pure oxalic acid powder that can be used for different things. For example, there is this one stain on your deck that you haven’t been able to remove just yet, and you want to make it disappear, this product will do the trick for you, and make that stain go away.
It works just as expected. It’s annoying when you get a product only to realize that it doesn’t even work, and you just wasted your money. But with this stain remover, you get what you paid for.
If sanding is not being useful at all and you feel as though you’re wasting your time trying to remove that old stain, then you might want to give it a try.
Additionally, it can be safely used on any stain you have, but you still have to be careful when using it. Just to make sure you’re doing it the right way.
- Works well with other removal products
- Can be used on pools and similar places
- Completely safe for kids & pets
- Outstanding performance for deep cleaning
- Removes old and stuck matter
- Oxalic acid is an essential household chemical that can be used, like many acids, as a cleaner for...
- 99.6% PURE OXALIC ACID Powder! HUNDREDS OF USES!
- GREAT FOR: Rust Removal, Iron Stain Removal, Metal Cleaning, Bleaching Agent, Wood Stain Cleaner, Pool...
- USE for Home, Garden, Industrial & Commercial Applications
4. OxiClean Versatile Furniture Stain Remover
This is hands down the best stain stripper. And the best part about it is that you still get unmatchable results.
There are so many things you can use this stain remover on. Do you want to remove that stain on your furniture that’s been on for a while? We got you. You simply have to apply this remover and see immediate results. So, no need to sand stain off the wood.
Robust and reliable stain remover, no matter how long the stain has been around, you can easily remove it with this remover. Even those tough stains that you’ve spent so much time trying to remove but still no luck can get back to its original form.
We know it can be annoying to see a stain on top of your precious wood, and you might be worried that it might never look like it did before. But you can, in fact, bring its original and natural form without much effort.
It’s pretty self-explanatory. You don’t need to spend thousands of dollars just to remove a small stain, all you need is the right equipment just like this stain remover.
- Won’t damage surface colors
- Gets rid of stains forever
- Removes difficult stains
- Works fast and efficiently
- It’s effortless to apply
- One 7.22 lb. box of OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover Powder
- Oxygen-based, water-activated formula gets out tough dirt, persistent spots and set-in stains
- Works with regular detergent to get clothes extra clean
- Works on carpets, upholstery and nearly any surface in your home
5. Rejuvenate Cabinet & Furniture Restorer
This is one of the most efficient furniture stain removers. You don’t even need to spend that much time using it and see results.
When you have lost hope and think there is no way you would be able to remove that horrible stain sitting on top of your wood, there is still one way out of that mess. With this furniture restorer, you can bring back its original form and make the stain go away.
To make it even better, they have added an ultra-violet ray barrier. It shields the surfaces and keeps them safe from the sun. This is super helpful since some woods are easily damaged by the sun, and it might be hard to restore that furniture after it has been harmed without the proper tools.
You know that old cabinet in your house that seems to just be taking up space because there’s no way to fix it? Now you can restore and make it look brand-new again.
To get the most out of this furniture restorer, you just have to apply it once. After that, you can enjoy its effects for up to three months.
It’s fantastic just how clean and smooth your furniture is right after applying this stain remover. And the best thing about it is that it doesn’t change your furniture’s original color. It merely matches the original color and makes it look brand-new again.
- Protects surfaces for sun rays
- Ideal for outdoor cleaning
- It can restore even the most damaged furniture
- It’s easy to apply and lasts long
- It doesn’t change the furniture’s color
- Restores Life To The Finished Wood, Formica, And Laminate Surfaces of Cabinetry, Furniture And Wall...
- High Performance Polymer Based Formula Fills In Scratches, Restores Shine, Seals Grout And Protects...
- New Ultra-violet (UV) Ray Barrier That Shields Surfaces From The Sun's Damaging Effects
- Requires Just One Easy Wipe-on Application That Lasts Up To Three Months
6. Citristrip QCSG801 Paint & Varnish Stripping Gel
This is one of the most efficient furniture stain removers. It is perfect for anybody who wants to use it indoors as it is non-caustic.
Use this gel to remove any lacquer, varnish, oil-based paint from your furniture. No matter how long it’s been there, it can still be removed in just a matter of seconds using this varnish stripper. So, you can finally say farewell to that ugly stain that’s been there since forever.
Furthermore, it has no strong chemicals that could potentially put your health in danger - Unlike most paint removers that are incredibly toxic. This one is pretty much safe to use. Although you should still read the back of the can for more details.
Lastly, if you want to remove multiple layers of paint at the same time but have no idea what you should get or how to even get started at all, this is the perfect stain remover. It is powerful enough to remove multiple layers at the same time and still show mind-blowing results.
It smells like orange. Some chemicals leave off a weird smell after it’s used. That could affect your health. But you don’t have to worry about such things with this stain remover. Now you can work in a safe environment, not feel nauseous.
- No strong fumes to worry about
- Ideal for indoor and small operations
- Allows multiple layers and cleaning processes
- Removes super-deep and difficult stains
- Works well for different surfaces
- CITRISTRIP Safer Paint & Varnish Stripping Gel is easy to use.
- Stays wet and active for up to 24 hours allowing stripping of multiple layers in one step.
- Removes dried latex and oil-based paint, varnish, lacquer, polyurethane and shellac.
- Strips multiple layers from wood, metal and masonry surfaces.
7. Simple Solution Hard Floor Stain Remover
This is a great wood stain stripper. One of the biggest concerns that you may have about a product is toxicity. This product can be safely used around children and pets.
Simple solution is a US-based company. All their products are manufactured in the USA. Their products are well-known for performing incredibly well.
More so, this is the perfect solution for most hard floors. It breaks into the wood and eliminates any stain it finds on its way. Even the toughest stains have a hard time trying to survive against this stain remover.
Additionally, it's a great product that was made specifically to get rid of those pet stains that you cannot seem to be able to remove by hand. No matter how tough the stain is, or how long it’s been on your floor, it is cable enough to remove that stain for good.
You can use it to remove any stain on your floor. Pet stains, pet urine, feces, and other common stains that ruin your floor can be easily wiped out by this great product.
If you are also worried about the odor from your pet stain and have a hard time trying to get rid of it, you will be amazed by how efficient this stain remover is when it comes to removing strong odors from pet stains.
- Removes stains from any type of wood
- Completely safe to use indoors
- Removes pet stains and odor
- Covers large areas with ease
- Leaves a protective layer for a long time
- DESIGNED FOR HARD SURFACES - Simple Solution Hardfloor Pet Stain and Odor Remover is formulated for pet...
- DUAL ACTION FORMULA- Eliminates Pet Stains and Odors on Hard Surfaces , while helping to prevent repeat...
- SPECIFICALLY FOR PET STAINS - Specifically developed to remove dog and cat stains and odors like urine,...
- VERSATILE CLEANING - Our patented 3-in-1 nozzle sprayer gives you more options to tackle stains and odor:...
8. Sunnyside Corporation 658G1A
This is one of the most suitable wood stain removal products in the market. You can see results after nearly 60 minutes.
Sunnyside corporation is one of the best chemical manufacturers. They have been in business since 1893. They are well-known for their incredibly functional and reliable products.
Its outstanding performance makes it a must-have product for anybody who doesn’t want to see stains on their wood. The best thing about It is that you can remove stain from wood without sanding in such an easy and convenient way.
Even if there are several layers of coating on your way and as hard as it may seem to remove on your own, you can easily remove it with this product. It can remove up to seven layers of coatings like it’s nothing.
Most paint removers can take up several hours just to see results. Or even days in the worst-case scenario. And if you don’t have much time like most people, you should avoid those paint removers. But with this one, you see amazing results in less than an hour.
Methylene chloride is primarily used as an industrial solvent and as a paint stripper. That can be a huge turn off for most people since that material is known for being toxic and dangerous to your health.
However, this paint stripper does not have any methylene chloride. So, if you're health-conscious, this is the right paint stripper you should get.
- It can remove several layers of stains at once
- It is entirely safe to use
- You can see immediate results after nearly 60 minutes
- It can be used on interior and exterior surfaces
- Wipes out stains on almost any surface
- Safer paint and varnish remover; formulated with no methylene chloride or NMP
- Removes paints, varnishes, stains, lacquers & urethanes
- Begins working in 60 minutes
- Removes up to 7 layers of coatings
9. Florida Laboratories Crislan OXALIC Acid 99.6% 2 Lb
This is the best wood stain stripper. It is the highest-rated paint remover on Amazon. And there is a reason for that. It works like a charm on wood surfaces.
Florida Laboratories has been focusing on making the best formulas to outperform any other stain remover in the market for over 14 years.
Furthermore, this is a great product to remove those deeply embedded stains that can’t be removed with your run of the mill typical stain remover.
No matter if it’s a dark stain on your wood, you can still remove it using this stain remover. It’s relatively easy to use. So, it’s not like you are willing to spend hours trying to find out the best way to use it.
At some point, your cabin could experience ugly black stains. And it might seem impossible to remove those black stains. Even sanding doesn’t help at all. But you will be surprised by how easy this product removes all those stains in your cabin. You don’t have to be a professional to apply it correctly.
When water somehow makes its way into your metal tools and stays there for several days, chances are your metal tools are going to get rusty. But not all hope is lost. This excellent product from Florida Laboratories is more than enough to get the job done.
You can also use it to clean many other things—decks that are severely damaged, crystals that look horrible, and even metals.
- Helps to restore woods to original looks
- Incredibly easy to use
- Removes rust and deep-seated stains
- Helps to treat mites and other surfaces
- Removes oxidation and other difficult stains
- OXALIC ACID 99.6% PURE (Dihydrate)
- Deck, Crystals and Metal Cleaning
- Rust Removal, Wood Stain Remover and More!
- Usage instructions found underneath product picture. If you do not see the instructions you are looking...
10. EZ Strip USA Inc MAX Strip All Purpose Remover
Do you need to clean a huge mess that you somehow made? This is the best wood stain remover tool that you need to get yourself out of that trouble.
Some people might be worried about chemical products damaging their woods or any other thing that they use it on. But you don’t have to worry about that with this stain remover. It is safe to use on most surfaces. Although you should ask the manufacturer for further specifications.
You may notice that some of these products have a stronger smell than you would like. That can be annoying for some people as some of these odors are quite strong. On the other hand, this product does not have a harsh smell. Instead, it has a pleasant fragrance.
While some paint removers might struggle trying to remove one type of stain. You can use this one for several other purposes. And you will get mind-blowing results for the price of one single paint remover.
You have probably scrubbed using many different products before. But you’ve never gotten anywhere with them. But this one is different—you would want the results you want by only applying it on the stain you want to remove.
It’s super easy to use. As long as you follow the instructions, you should be able to get results you want on your wood.
- Cleans significant stains and difficult to reach areas
- Doesn’t produce a strong odor
- Removes difficult stains and other grave areas
- Cleans well on wood without damaging it
- Effortless to use and smooth application
- Fast acting spray gel stripper that can be used effectively on virtually all surfaces
- No harsh fumes or unpleasant odor
- Non-caustic and low volatile organic compound formula
- Cleans up with just water
Stain Stripper Buyer’s Guide:
You have probably used many other stain strippers before but never got anywhere with them.
So, we understand that you might be a little be skeptical when buying stain strippers.
To help you choose the best stain stripper, we have made a list of the most efficient and reliable stain removers.
These tips are incredibly helpful when buying stain strippers. Many people have found success using these excellent tips. So, the next time you are looking to purchase a new paint remover, you know what to look out for.
Now, this is crucial to use stain strippers. Using powerful chemicals indoors could potentially put your family’s health in danger. And you don’t want that. So, we highly recommend getting a stain remover that is safe to use around your family.
The best way to find out whether a paint remover is safe to use around children is to do a quick google search on whatever chemical is listed on the product. This way, you know for sure if it’s safe or not.
As obvious as it may sound, you still want to make sure that you’re getting your hands on a great product. Some stain removers can’t even get some stains wiped out. Usually, the listed chemicals on the product give it away.
Depending on how bad the stain is, you might want to get a different stain remover.
If you have pet stains, the best way to make sure you’re getting the right product is to read whatever is listed on the product. You also want to get those that can remove strong odors for even better results.
Some paint removers are made for more casual use. So, they don’t necessarily work against mould stains.
You must know this if you want to get your hands on a mold remover. So, be careful when choosing it as it might not remove mold stains. As always, make sure to read anything that is listed on the product.
Some stain removers have strong odors that can make people feel sick. And it can also be a little hard to work with. So, we recommend getting those that have little to no odor, or at least those that have a pleasant fragrance.
great if you could restore your old damaged wood furniture? Some wood stain removers are cable of making your old wood furniture look brand-new again.
Usually, all you need to do is to apply one single application and you get a piece of new and shiny wood furniture.
This is great if your wood furniture was heavily damaged by all those stains. And it’s also a great way to save hundreds of dollars trying to fix damaged wood furniture.
Wouldn’t it be great if your stain remover worked on many different surfaces other than wood? Then you will be surprised by how common they are.
Having an all-around stain remover allows you to remove just about any stain on any surface. Even if you plan on using it for wood, it never hurts to have an all-around stain remover.
You never know when you will need to remove stains on any surface other than wood. So, it’s great to have an all-around stain remover always on hand.
One of the biggest issues when choosing a reliable wood stain remover is just how some stain removers damage wood surfaces.
Some of them are incredibly powerful but it comes at a high price. They may leave undesirable colors on wood surfaces.
So, we strongly recommend reading the back of your product to find out if it doesn’t leave any undesired colors after removing the stain.
You can also look up the product on google in case the back of the product does not make it very clear.
How to Remove Stain From Wood?
After you’ve chosen the right stain remover for wood furniture that fits your need, you can start to remove that annoying stain. Now, it’s not as hard as it seems. In fact, it’s incredibly easy, and all you need to do is put in some work to clean your wood.
The best way to remove stain from your wood is to get a stain remover. While it is true that sanding is useful for the most part, it is time-consuming, and sometimes you might not get the results you want. So, it’s best to just pick up a stain remover.
Before you go ahead and spray all over the stained area, you need to protect yourself from overspray. Here are some things that are quite useful when using a sprayer.
- Wear safety glasses. This is going to prevent any spray from getting into your eyes
- Wear chemical-resistant gloves to protect your hands from any chemical
- Spray in a ventilated area. Some stain removers can be used indoors, but just to make sure you should use it outside in an area that has plenty of fresh air
- Read the instructions carefully before you do anything
Applying Stain Remover
Now that you know what you should do to protect yourself from any chemical that could potentially put your health in danger, here are the steps to clean your wood.
- Shake the can as hard as you can.
- As you begin to spray over the unwanted area, hold the can away from the area.
- Move around as you spray over the area for better results.
- After a few minutes, you will see the paint wrinkling.
- Depending on the stain remover you bought, this could take several minutes. But for the most part, allow it to sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Grab a scraper and scrape away the finish.
- The paint should begin to come off at this step.
- If needed, apply another coat to remove any residue.
- By now, the stain should be gone.
Common Questions and Answers
Here we attempt to answer some of the most frequently asked questions about stains on woods and how they can be easily removed.
1. What is the Best Way to Remove Stain From Wood?
The best way to remove stain from any wood is to get a great stain remover. It is more efficient than sanding by hand, and it’s less time-consuming.
2. What do I do If My Wood Stain is Too Dark?
To remove that stubborn dark stain, you need to dampen a rag with mineral spirits, and then rub it against the stain. This doesn’t entirely remove the stain, but instead, softens it. You can also use a stain remover if you don’t see any progress.
3. Can You Remove A Wood Stain?
Yes, you can. Removing the wood stain is surprisingly easy and doesn’t take much time. We recommend getting a stain remover for better results.
4. Will Paint Thinner Remove A Wood Stain?
Yes, it will. Using a paint thinner to remove a wood stain is pretty much common practice. This is a great and efficient way to get rid of any stain. However, you need to work in a ventilated area as paint thinners have strong odors.
5. How Do You Fix A Sticky Stain?
You need to get rid of excess stain. To get rid of it, you need to dampen a rag with mineral spirit and rub it back and forth against the surface. Keep doing this until there is no excess stain left.
Choosing the best wood stain remover is quite easy doesn’t take as much time as it might seem at first glance. As long as you stick to what we’ve said so far, you shouldn’t have any problem picking up the best stain remover that fits all your needs.