Piano hinges are also called continuous hinges. It is one of the most popular types of hinges used for a variety of applications. They help increase the stability and strength of the furniture.
There are many benefits associated with piano hinges. They are not only easy to install but they also serve as a perfect solution for any application within a tight budget. They are primarily designed to handle heavyweight and extensive wear and tear.If you want to know how to cut a piano hinge, then you are in the right place. In this guide, we will discuss the steps to cut a piano hinge in detail.
Why need to cut the piano hinge?
Piano hinges have a special place because of their unique shape. With the help of a piano hinge, you can make the furniture stronger. As already mentioned once, they are mostly used in box doors or windows. Other uses of piano hinges can be found in piano lids, barn doors, barn doors, and others.
Using this type of hinges are also associated with many benefits. When installed correctly, they help in even distribution of weight over the length of the door opening.
Another good thing about piano hinges is that you can cut them at any length you want. This will help you match the door assembler to the door more accurately.
How to cut a piano hinge? (Step By Step Guide)
Now coming to the main part of the article, how to cut a piano hinge. In this section, we will explain to you the steps you need to follow to cut a piano hinge.
- The first thing you need to do is flatten it the piano hinge. Make it straight and then fold it from the connecting rods. You need to make sure that it has a round-shape as sharp edges can be risky for your pets or kids.
- In this step, you need to measure the hinge to and cut the required portion. To make your task easier, you should mark the point from where you will cut off the hinge.
- Use a permanent marker to highlight the measured points. You can also use black tape.
- Using a combination square, you will make the edges of the piano and then place it against the connecting rods.
- In this step, you need to align the longest end of the hinge with the highest point of the combination square. For accurate results, you should mark the points using a blade.
- Take a scribe and place it on the opposite side of the combination square. You need to cut it right. To get it done accurately, place the hinge straight.
- While cutting the hinge make sure you maintain safety.
- Now tale a clutch grinder and cut the piano hinge correctly. You need to also mark the scribe line and grinding wheel. Make sure that they are aligned and are also crossing the face of the hinge.
- In this step, you need to cut the piano hinge following the points that you have marked in the previous steps.
- When cutting the hinge, make sure that you smoothen the edges.
- After you are done, allow the edges to cool down. Due to abrasion, the hinges will be very hot.
So this is how you cut a piano hinge. By following these steps, you can easily get it done at home. The most thing to accomplish the task is the technique and the tools you use. If you go it both right, then you can accurately cut a piano hinge.
Safety Issue That You Should Take Care While Cutting Piano Hinge
If you have decided to cut a piano hinge at home, then you need to maintain the safety measures that are required. Having a neglecting attitude can get you injured badly. Therefore, you have all the reasons to be careful.
You need to have the right safety gear to get started with the work. This is needed to keep you protected, while you are at it. This includes glasses to protect your eyes, gloves to protect your hands and masks to prevent anything from getting in your mouth or nostrils. You need to make sure that your face and hands are completely covered so that you don’t get injured. At the same time, you also have to get the best quality safety gear. The gears that you use should be able to protect you.
While cutting the piano hinge, you should take care of your face. The best thing to do is to wear a face shield while doing the work. This way you can keep your full face protected. Don’t look upwards while working or you might get hurt. The best way to do is to keep your face at a slightly lower position.
1. How to Measure Piano Hinge?
To measure a piano hinge, you need to lay the hinge on a smooth surface. Now measure the distance from one side of the hinge, to the other side using a tape. This will help you determine the width of the hinge.
2. How Much Time do I Need to Cut It Down?
For 10 pounds or less, it should take you about 2 to 3 minutes to cut a hinge. For 20 pounds or more, you should take anywhere from 4 to 5 minutes in measuring and cutting the hinge.
From the discussion above, the steps to how to cut a piano hinge should be clear to you. By following these simple steps, you can get the work done in no time. Piano hinges are used for various applications, especially the ones including wear and tear. They are meant to support heavyweight and thus, you can find them useful in many situations.
- How to Choose Wood Filament: A Complete Guide 2022 - July 17, 2021
- 10 Best Propane Forge Reviews in 2022 - June 30, 2021
- Best Circular Saw Blade for Plywood : Top 10 Picks - June 30, 2021