Motors are an engineering marvel. Their advent and invention have made life easy and reduced effort for everyone. They are now used in almost every type of machine we can name.
Their great success lies in their power, speed, and efficiency. By reducing human effort, motors open up possibilities for innovation elsewhere and allow more complex work.
Some of the most complex tasks include ones with CNC machines. Requiring ultra-skill levels and pinpoint accuracy, CNC machines are a class of machines that revolutionized manufacturing. Hence, it fits we review the best stepper motor for CNC for this reason alone.
Whether you are a professional engineer or a hobbyist, this article will enlighten you about some amazing CNC motors. So don't go anywhere!
Usongshine Nema 17 Stepper Motor 42BYGH
5 out of 5
Stepper Motor Nema 17, AUKUYEE
5 out of 5
High Torque Nema 23 CNC Stepper Motor
4.5 out of 5
Usongshine Nema 17 Geared Stepper
4 out of 5
Redrex Nema 17 Stepper Motor with 310mm T8x8 Lead Screw
4.5 out of 5
Best Stepper Motors : Our Top 10 Picks for 2021
Time for our top ten reviews. This section will present the ultimate stepper motors from renowned brands. It is a great chance for you to find your desired product!
1. Usongshine Nema 17 Stepper Motor 42BYGH
As we start the search for the best CNC stepper motor, it is prudent to start with a strong contender. The 42BYGH is just that and more.
The high torque of this motor sets it apart from the rest of its competitors. With a torque of 42Ncm, it is significantly more powerful than many available in the market today.
With low resistance, the thermal conductivity of this product is on another level. This is a very important aspect, as the high thermal conductivity also helps in better heat dispersion, preventing damage.
When it comes to the applicability, few can rival this product. You can use it just about anywhere, and moreover, it is suited for a very wide range of tasks too.
This includes stage lighting, 3D printing, laser engraving, medical equipment powering, and much more. Hence, there will be no danger of running out of tasks when using this product.
You get all the essentials neatly packed into one package, including the cable, four-pin connector, bipolar wires, and so on. In short, it is as complete as a package as they come.
Being CE certified for high-quality assurance, you will be using a product used by the best worldwide and endorsed by the top experts in this field. Rest assured regarding standards.
- Tested for quality assurance
- Very good thermal conductivity, preventing thermal damage
- Can be applied under different settings
- Performs better at high speeds.
- High Torque: Usongshine stepper motor Adopting high quality motor steel material, is provided with high...
- Low Resistance: Usongshine stepper motor can get a lower resistance value compared to motors of the same...
- Wide Application: This small stepper motors can be used in various area, such as 3D printer; stage...
- What Do You Get: The package includes 1* 38mm Stepper Motor/1pcs 1m 4pins cable and connector (Size: 42mm...
2. AUKUYEE CNC Router Stepper Motor Nema 17
When talking about a powerful stepper motor, not mentioning a product from Aukuyee is a loss for customers. This particular stepper motor from their factories deliver high on speed and well on quality.
Enjoy the bulk of the 59Ncm torque this beast of a product has to offer. With a strong and sturdy body, the 1M, four-pin cable makes mounting easy and setting up a piece of pie.
With the adequately long wire, you can easily connect to other electrical machines and their components without having to buy anything extra. If tangling wires were a concern before, they no longer are anymore.
The heat shrink tubing effect prevents the wires from joining up, thereby saving the hassle of freeing them.
The 90-degree mounting bracket has been provided to ensure smooth and easy mounting and the steep angles of 1.8 degrees add a significant level of convenience during use.
- Bipolar 2A 84oz.in(59Ncm)
- Sturdy but compact build for easy portability
- Provides a torque over 50 Ncm
- Stepper motor kit featuring a longer connecting cable makes connections easy
- The mounting bracket makes mounting more accessible.
- Comes with Connector and Mounting Bracket for CNC Machine
- NEMA-17 Stepper Motor 84 oz.in (59 Ncm) 47mm Body 1.8 degree with 1M 4-pin Cable and Mounting Bracket Kit...
- 1m wire, one connect electrical machine, on the other end has variety optional ports; heat shrink tubing...
- 90 Degree Mounting Bracket with M3 screws.
- 84 oz.in (59 Ncm) Holding Torque.
3. STEPPERONLINE High Torque Nema 23 CNC Machine Motor
A strongly built CNC stepper motor, this rigidly framed motor packs a punch in a lot of departments and is a fast customer to deal with.
With a framing structure composed of steel and copper, this product is as strongly built as they come. It is highly durable and will not yield easily to cracks and damage.
Coming with holding torque of 3Nm, expect some serious power when using this product. Furthermore, the current requirement is also quite measly at 4A.
With a rather small frame of 57mm and 113 mm, this is a portable product. Hence, if you travel to and fro for work, you can easily make it your companion.
A resistance of 0.9 Ohms ensures that this product has very good thermal conductivity. This is a very important point, as it helps to disperse excess heat, thereby saving the product from thermal buildup and damage.
So, you will have one less form of damage to worry about when using this product.
- Compact build allows for portability everywhere
- Made of strong metals, thereby preventing body damage
- Large torque allows tough jobs to be completed fast
- Low resistance rating allows better heat dispersion, preventing damage.
- Very Huge Torque
- 3Nm(425oz.in) holding torque
- NEMA 23 bipolar 2.24"x2.24"x4.45" 4-wire
- 1.8 deg. step angle(200 steps/rev)
4. Usongshine Nema 17 Geared Stepper Motor Gear Ratio 5.18:1
Another gem of a product from the Usongshine store, their 17 gear stepper, is a fine tool for 3D printing, among other things.
A planetary gearbox feature allows you to choose from a variety of gear shifts. The gear ratio is set at 5.18:1.
Capable of sustaining a maximum radial load of 100N, this product can sustain quite the punch when it comes to forcing impacts.
Similarly, with an axial load capacity of 50N, the axial side is well protected and thus adds safety to the overall product.
With a torque of 1.68 Nm, this product is perfect for 3D printing applications. 3D printing is widely used nowadays, so you can imagine how popular this product is likely to be.
Its weight is also quite noticeable. At only 455g, there is practically no place you cannot take it.
Hence, when traveling to and fro from where work stations, you can slip this motor in the tools kit and use it wherever needed.
Quality checks are a very important part of this product's functioning, and the amount of inspections that this product has undergone is massive.
Thus, when using this product, you are guaranteed a motor that has undergone a high number of checks, rechecks, and inspections, all for the sake of performance and safety.
- Has undergone a large number of checks for quality
- It is very light, and thus easily transportable
- It is ideal for 3D printing of all kinds
- It has a planetary gearbox that enables better gear shifts and power distribution between gears.
- Good Torque Good Speed;Step Angle 1.8°
- Planetary Gearbox Ratio 5.18:1
- Nema 17 Bipolar Stepper Motor
- Rated current 1.68A & resistance 1.65ohms
5. Redrex Nema 17 Motor with 310mm T8x8 Lead Screw
As we reach the halfway mark of this review article on CNC machine motors, the 17 stepper motor from the renowned Redrex store is a good addition to our guide. With some easy to use characteristics, be ready for an enjoyable user experience.
High torque is just of the defining features of this amazing product. With a torque of 40Ncm, it is no surprise that this product can get even the most strenuous 3D printing jobs done easily.
Stability should be a key aspect of any stepper motor, and this product really takes it a step further. Unlike other models, the lead screw is also integrated with the motor itself, with no shaft coupling needed.
This allows for minimum vibrations during operation, thereby preventing damage by instability.
While many motors can be difficult to plug-in, this product has none of that difficulty. The 100mm stepper lead wire allows rapid connections, and what is even better, there is no need for any fancy soldering either.
Z wobble is an important reason behind instability, as the motor keeps wobbling on its z-axis. This, however, is well eliminated in this product. With the help of the lead screw, there is little to no wobble.
Made of highly durable stainless steel and brass, this wicked combination adds to its strength unlike anything else.
Thus, it is sturdy, strong, and resistant to impact damages, which could pose a problem during strenuous use.
- No vibrations, particularly in the Z direction, due to lead screw
- Made of tough steel for added durability
- Easy to set up and plug up
- Does not require any solder connections of any kind.
- High torque Nemga 17 stepper motor provides 1.5A 40Ncm/57.1 oz.in holding torque.
- High Stability:No shaft coupling needed,integrated with stepper motor and lead screw.
- Easy to plug:100mm stepper lead wire with XH2.54 connector,no soldering or peeling works.
- Upgrading Z Axis Motor: This integrated lead screw stepper motor could eliminate the Z-wobble and...
6. Aibecy 3D Printer, CNC Stepping Motor
A two-phase stepper motor built for excellence is one of the best stepper motors Aibecy offers. Its suitability for 3D printing is one big reason behind its lofty reputation.
This product is custom made for 3D printing. So much so, it is widely compatible with a number of 3D printer models.
These include the CR 10 series. Ender 3 series on the X, Y, and Z axes, and of course, all their corresponding equipment.
With a 0.4Nm torque, this is more than adequate to get the job in almost all circumstances. Furthermore, with a current rating of 0.8A, it will not put any strain on your local grid either.
It is one of the most portable products you are likely to see anywhere, with a rather nifty size and dimensions measuring at 42 * 42 * 34mm. For people who travel a lot for work, this is as great a boon as can be.
With strong torque comes a louder level of noise, or so you might be misled to think. But this product will make you reconsider all that. Its noise levels are quite low, leading to a quiet operation.
This enables you to focus on the job at hand only, without being distracted every few minutes.
- 2 phase setting allows for easy startup
- Can be used with a wide range of 3D printer models
- Small current requirement
- Low noise levels, allowing noise-free working.
7. FYSETC CNC Router Motors
When thinking of a strong stepper motor, you probably start thinking high tech, intimidating sounding and robustly built. But the 17 stepper motor from FYSETC should break all those misconceptions with their small but highly powerful stepper motor.
The 42-34 Nema, as it is called, is widely used for 3D printing by a large number of companies and experts.
It is compatible with most 3D printers and CNC machines, and the common ones include the CR 10 series, Prusa i3, and Makerbot Mendel, to name an elite few.
With this wide range of compatibility, you will not have to worry about buying a new printer but worrying about compatibility issues any longer.
This will save you from a headache and also prevent you from buying a different motor for each printer every single time.
The torque ratings are also quite robust. With a rating of 0.35Nm, it runs at a rather rapid pace. Also, the low loss of stators aid in power loss minimization. This also helps in attaining better speeds during critical tasks.
Made of aluminum, it is lightweight as expected. It measures 42mm X 42mm X 34mm and thus is very easy to carry around.
Being certified by both ROHS and CE, you can expect the smoothest and most hassle-free operation known to anyone when using this product.
When unpacking, you will be pleased to find several smartly placed and included components. These include the 1m cable and the motor itself.
The cable allows easy connection to other electrical components and is also easy to connect.
- Cable included for better connectivity with other machines
- Can be transported with ease
- It is very lightweight due to its aluminum build
- Works with the most elite class of 3D printers.
- Motor Model: 42-34 Nema 17, widely work for Most 3D Printer Ender 3 CR-10 CR-10s S5, i3 selece mini,...
- High torque -Holding torque up to 0.35Nm. Low loss stators have better high speed performance.
- Size: 42mm X 42mm X 34mm. 2 Phase 4 Wires, with 39.3 in/ 1 Meter cable.
- 100% brand new, ROHS and CE certified.
8. STEPPERONLINE Nema 23 Powerful Stepper Motor
The CNC router stepper motor from the Stepperonline store is the perfect addition to your collection of powerful tools to have around the garage. This motor is perfect for small tasks that require dedication and accuracy.
With a holding torque of 1.26Nm, this product can be used with great effect in machines where accuracy and power are required.
This includes the conventional 3D printer. With a current rating of 2.8A, this product will not draw excess current.
Rather, it can be used with car batteries, too, if you are concerned about the load applied on the grid.
The low resistance of 0.9 Ohms means that this product has a rather high thermal conductivity. This is important, as the low resistance rating allows more heat and current to pass through.
As a result, excess heat is also dispensed in a safe fashion, thereby protecting the motor from any further harm.
A weight of 700g is quite neat. It is neither too small, nor is it too large. At this weight, you can carry it around anywhere needed for work.
- Made of steel, thereby adding strength to the body
- The square shape is highly compact
- Low resistance allows better heat passage
- High torque for a wide range of use.
- Higher Torque
- 1.26Nm(178.5oz.in) holding torque
- NEMA 23 bipolar 2.24"x2.24"x2.2" 4-wire
- 1.8 deg. step angle(200 steps/rev)
9. TOAUTO Integrated Closed-Loop
One of the finest stepper motors for CNC going around right now, this closed-loop stepper motor from Toauto is the perfect blend of quality, speed, service, and high-end technology.
The first thing to note is that the effect of synchronization loss is eliminated. The closed-loop structure and set up prevents any further power losses that may have occurred otherwise.
With the most advanced position tracking technology in place, position correction is now possible. A poorly positioned motor will encounter substantial losses in power and efficiency.
Heat can be a very damaging effect on such products. The low heat feature of this product does not allow heat to accumulate.
The encounter feedback is also a state of the art quality. With an advanced algorithm, this product can overcome issues with resonance.
This enables smoother operation under load, less noise, and also fewer vibrations. It is an amazing upgrade when compared with traditional motors.
While this motor is closed-loop, due to the hybrid step servo system, a few key benefits of the open-loop system are retained. It includes the rapid starting and switching off feature and also better speed stabilization.
As a final note, this product also has a very advanced servo control system. This makes it very responsive and allows it to exceed its limits.
- Advanced servo control for response
- Can stop and start very quickly
- No issue with vibrations and noise
- Very low heat generation.
- No loss of synchronization , the ToAuto Integrated Closed Loop Motors will overcome the synchronization...
- Low Heat / High Efficiency Hybrid Stepper Motor Driver
- Smooth and Accurate : with the Encoder feedback vector current control algorithm and filtering technique,...
- Hybrid step servo system have some advantages of the traditional open-loop stepper system, position...
10. Worm Gear Nema23 Strong Stepper Motor
One of the few stepper motors with a worm gearbox, we conclude the review section of the best stepper motor for CNC with a fine product Heechoo.
This 23 stepper motor runs with a unique worm gearbox. The gearbox has a ratio of 30:1 and is rather robust in performance.
With a torque of 1.3Nm, this product is more than adequate for a large number of applications. Drawing in a current of only 3.5A, it does not exert a very large strain on your electricity gearbox.
Weighing in at only 4.32 pounds, this product is as portable as they possibly come. This means you can use it anywhere, provided there is a suitable power source available.
The speed range of this motor is also quite vast. From 0 to 20 R/min, it allows selecting any speed in between, thereby giving you more options to work with.
Applicability is an important feature of this product. You can use it with several high ends, powerful machine tools. These include the lathe, CNC, milling machine, and also for engraving.
- It can be used with different machines, thereby increasing productivity
- Requires low current to operate
- Operates with a worm gearbox
- Low in weight, so can be transported for work.
- Nema 23 stepper motor with worm gearbox
- Worm Geared Stepper Motor Ratio 30:1
- 2 phase stepper motor 2.1inch long, 1.3Nm
- Speed reducer motor output speed 0--20 R/min
Cable Provided for Connectivity
STEPPERONLINE Nema 23 Motor
Usongshine Nema 17
Redrex Nema 17
Aibecy CNC Router Motor
FYSETC 3D Printer Motor
STEPPERONLINE Nema 23
TOAUTO Integrated Closed-Loop
Worm Gear Nema23
Stepper Motor for CNC Buying Guide
Time to dive into some specifics. This section will cover the top features and aspects you should look out for when aiming to buy the best stepper motor for CNC. Don't miss this section if you are looking for your money's worth!
A very important detail regarding stepper motors is their current requirements. A stepper motor usually runs on a very specific current.
However, some motors also feature some motors that allow for current variations within the allowed range or limits.
So, in that case, varying the current will result in a variation of power. This variation of power can then be utilized for a specific task or job.
Hence, when buying, you could consider buying a motor that allows this current adjustability. That way, you could perform many tasks that require different power and not have to buy a new motor for each task.
This is not really a hard requirement if you have a very specific job or task in mind. However, if you are unsure about the machines you will operate, or have a few machines in mind, then a motor with multi compatibility will do wonders.
For instance, if you need to run the lathe, 3D printer, and milling machine in the same workshop, then the best stepper motors for you will be compatible with different machines, saving you the hassle of having to buy a different motor for each machine.
This will save you a lot of cash in the long run, which you could invest in other projects.
Low Noise Levels
Noise from motors can be annoying. They make your ears hurt, cause distractions, and if high levels are breached, they can cause irreparable damage to the ears.
Sound pollution is also another key danger they pose. Hence, when buying CNC router motors, it is always prudent to look into the noise levels.
Avoid buying motors that generate too much noise. But be aware that some noise will be produced, but as long as it's tolerable and below hazard levels, you are good to go.
Nowadays, single-phase motors are more popular and have replaced dual phase motors to a large extent.
However, dual-phase motors are still used in some places. They offer quick starting and stopping.
So if you desire that the motor will stop and start rather quickly, you could consider buying one.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do Stepper Motors Produce Noise?
Answer: All motors generate some noise. Even a high-quality CNC stepper motor kit will have a motor that makes some noise.
With newer models, the good news is that noise is greatly minimized, so your work will not be affected.
Answer: Lifetime is measure in hours of operation. A standard motor has about 10000 hours in it, a little more than four years.
3. What Type of Current do Stepper Motors Run On?
Answer: They run on direct current, also called DC.
4. Can I Run a Stepper Motor By Plugging It in Directly to a Source?
Answer: No! This will damage the motor. You will have to connect to a drive controller to ensure that the current is stable?
5. Why is Smoke Coming Out of the Motor? is This a Danger Sign?
Answer: Smoke could be coming out due to overheating. This is quite serious. Unplug the motor and take it to the nearest repair shop.
Time to end this article then. We hope you enjoyed reading about the best stepper motor for CNC money can buy. While our pick was not exhaustive, it will certainly place you on the right track.
As you can see, finding the ultimate motor takes time, but it is a very rewarding experience, as finding the right motor means you can utilize your tools to the full extent.
We hope you found your required motor. If not, you can always use the newfound information you learned here to search for more. So until next time. Till then, take care!
Recommended Article To Read: