Did you know that by sealing your cedar fence, you can prolong its life to 20 years or more with almost no repairs needed?
If you have a cedar wood fence, then you have great taste. This fencing material is beautiful, giving your home an exquisitely natural look.
But without proper maintenance the wood becomes exposed to elements that can destroy it. Water gets sucked in, expanding the wood and causing it to crack and rot.
On the brighter side, all you need is the best sealer for cedar fence to stop all that.
Below, I will be introducing you to 10 of the top sealers and stains for cedar. These are fantastic and versatile products that protect your cedarwood and prolong its life.
Amazingly, they work for all other types of wood and you can apply them to any wood surface in your home from the fence to the deck and siding.
Let’s dive in.
Ready Seal 512 5-Gallon Stain and Sealer
5 out of 5
Cabot Australian Timber Oil
5 out of 5
#1 Deck Premium Semi-Transparent Wood Stain
4.5 out of 5
Thompsons Water Seal
4 out of 5
DEFY Crystal Clear Waterproofing Sealer
4.5 out of 5
Why You Should Seal Your Cedar Fence?
Ask any professional that has worked with wood for decades, and they will tell you that sealing wood is extremely useful. Whether you just set up a cedar wood fence or you’re looking to give your old one some renovation, applying a sealer is a great idea. Here are the reasons:
It Prevents Water Damage
Wood is porous. Unfortunately, the water it absorbs causes it to expand and crack and even rot. A sealer creates a barrier that prevents water entry and minimizes water-damage.
Stops Mold and Mildew
Because of the water it absorbs, unsealed wood attracts mold and mildew along with little insects like termites. Sealers discourage the growth of mold and mildew and also makes the wood uninhabitable for insects.
Prepares Wood for Painting
If you apply a stain/paint directly to wood, the pores in the wood will not allow the coating to sit well. Paint as a first coat will likely look blotchy or dull.
A sealer shuts the pores and allows the stain to go on uniformly.
Protects Wood From UV Rays
The sun causes unsealed and unstained wood to dry out and lose color. Sealing and staining create a filter that prevents the UV rays from hitting the wood, thus preserving its natural color.
Our Recommended To 10 Best Sealer for Cedar Fence
1. Ready Seal 512 5-Gallon | Best Stain for Cedar Fence
Ready Seal is a stain and sealer manufacturer based in Lewisville, Texas. The company has taken itself places with the production of some of the finest surface protection products.
If you’re looking to preserve and extend the life of your wood, the Ready Seal 512 5-Gallon Stain and Sealer is a product you can count on.
Made of a blend of high-grade resins and finely-ground pigments, this stain and sealer inserts itself deeply into the wood. It is oil-based, so it has good penetration and its seal is thick and durable.
What makes this different from paint is that while paint goes on as a coating, this sealer gets ingrained deeply into the wood. Thus, unlike paint, it doesn’t come off any time soon. In fact, you won’t need to do any resealing in the next four to five years.
Do you need a product that will protect your wood while allowing its natural grain and texture to show? The product is a semi-transparent stain and sealer that provides a subtle color without concealing your wood's grain and texture.
Hence, if you want something that will help your wood retain its natural beauty, this is it.
No matter the color of your wood, the Ready Seal 512 is applicable. It comes in 8 different popular shades that include natural cedar, pecan, dark walnut, mahogany, light oak, redwood, golden pine, and burnt hickory. All you have to do is select the color that suits you.
Mold giving you trouble? Say goodbye to that. Infused with paraffin oil, the product kills molds and prevents its growth effectively.
For its deep penetration, waterproofing capability, mold and mildew resistance, and tendency to not leave a streaks, runs, or laps, the Ready Seal 512 is the best sealer for cedar fence. You can apply it to any of your wood surfaces including wood siding, cabins, decks, and even furniture.
- Oil-based with a deep penetration
- Semi-transparent – preserves the wood’s texture and grain
- Resistant to water and UV rays
- Prevents attack from mold and mildew
- Takes 48 to 72 hours to dry
- Doesn’t lap, drip, or streak
- Can be applied using a brush, sprayer, or roller
- Biodegradable, thus gentle on the environment
- Requires no primer. Ready Seal is darkest when first applied. It reaches its true color in approximately...
- May be applied using sprayer, roller or brush onto the woods surface.
- Requires no back brushing and will nerver leave runs, laps, or streaks.
- Requires no wet-line application, the product will blend itself and can be applied in any temperature...
2. Cabot Australian Timber Oil
When wood is exposed to outdoor elements such as the sun and rain, it becomes vulnerable to drying out and weathering.
But by applying the Cabot Australian Timber Oil, you get to protect it from the harsh elements and preserve its natural color and luster.
This is an oil-based semi-transparent sealer and stain that restores the wood’s color without hiding the natural grain. It comes in an amazing array of 10 color choices to match your wood. The hues include Amberwood, honey teak, jarrah brown, mahogany, and more.
It is the formulation of this product that makes it a superb choice for wood. Firstly, it contains high-grade linseed oil for penetration. This is the sort of oil that goes deeply into the wood fibers, providing long-lasting protection.
To boost the durability even further, the product contains long-oil alkyds. As a matter of fact, when you apply the product, it will be several years before you need to apply it again.
The durable formulation is so tough for the sun, rain, and other elements to beat.
Do you live in a place that receives showers often? Or is the humidity often high? Then you need a product with great water repellency properties. For that need, the Cabot Australian Timber Oil is an excellent choice. It comes with south American tung oil, which is greatly waterproof.
- 10 popular color options
- Different container options – aerosol or regular can
- Semi-transparent to preserve the grain of the wood
- Great moisture repelling capacity
- Protects wood from UV rays
- This item is a Cabot Australian Timber Oil Penetrating Oil Formula Natural 1 Qt
- Purpose of use for Painting Supplies, household-wood-stains
- This product is manufactured in United States
3. #1 Deck Premium Semi-Transparent Wood Stain
You may have heard that a stain and sealer should only be applied to dry wood. It goes that if you apply to wood that is not dry, the penetration will not be good.
The #1 Deck Premium Semi-Transparent Wood Stain to quash that. This is one of the few stain and sealer products that you can apply to damp wood and still get beautiful results.
Even though the product is water-based, it has a great penetrating capacity. Once you apply it to wood, the liquid promptly starts embedding itself into the grain.
The product comes in a beautiful variety of five colors to ensure you have something for your wood. The colors included are cedar, dark walnut, driftwood gray, natural, and light walnut.
Ease of maintenance is one of the factors that define the best sealer for cedar posts. Speaking of that, picture a product that you have to sand completely before reapplication in the future. Now imagine a second product that doesn’t need sanding.
It is obvious which one offers convenience – the second one, of course. And that is it about the #1 Deck Premium Semi-Transparent Wood Stain.
You don’t have to sand it before reapplication. Just wash the surface with soap and water and apply a fresh coat, and the results will still be wonderful.
You care about environmental conservation? Then this is a product you’ll love. It is water-based and it contains far less VOC content. Thus, it is gentler on the environment.
- Water-based – easy clean-up with water
- 5 fabulous color options
- Semi-transparent – revamps the color without masking the grain
- Prevents water penetration
- Available in 2 measures – 1-gallon, 2.5 gallons
- PROTECTS AGAINST COLOR FADE AND PREVENTS GRAYING - #1 Deck Protects Wood From Damage Caused By Exposure...
- BOTH A DECK STAIN & DECK SEALANT IN ONE - #1 Deck Stain Is a Dual-Purpose Stain & Sealer. It Adds Color...
- ALLOWS THE WOOD GRAIN TO SHOW THROUGH - Available in 5 Beautiful, Semi-Transparent Deck Stain Colors That...
- BETTER FOR THE PLANET, EASY SOAP & WATER CLEANUP - With Less Than 50 g/L VOC Content, #1 Deck Sealer Is a...
4. Thompsons Water Seal
Wood is a popular flooring material for its ease of installation and beauty. With the right maintenance, wood is also durable. However, exposed to water, the material starts to get discolored and stained.
How can you prevent wood damage or deterioration? The answer lies in proper maintenance. And with regard to that, one product that you can rely on is the Thompsons Water Seal.
This oil-based product offers protection by permeating into the wood fibers and blocking moisture from gaining entry.
During application, Water Seal appears milky but it dries clear to show the wood grain. It’s very efficient at restoring the wood’s original color and works with all types of wood from cedar to mahogany.
One thing that is unique about this product is how long it lasts. Unless you live in an area that receives heavy rainfall very frequently, you won’t have to worry about your wood finish for the next five years.
A lot of sealers out there need several coats to work as required. However, if you’re on a budget, coverage is an important factor. The good thing about this model is that a little goes a long way and a single coat is often enough.
Versatility is yet another wonderful benefit of this product. Apart from wood fences and decks, you can use it on ceramic floors, bricks, and even concrete. The liquid works great to waterproof these surfaces, thereby providing protection from water damage.
- Clear for a natural-looking finish
- Oil-based with a deep penetration
- Seals out the water effectively
- Durable – lasts 5 years or more
- Can be applied with a brush, roller, or sprayer
- Prevents water damage
- Beads and waterproofs a variety of surfaces
- Works on masonry, brick, concrete, decks, fences, etc
- Exterior use only
5. DEFY Crystal Clear Waterproofing Sealer
Looking for a sealer that will preserve the natural finish of your wood while offering the most reliable protection from moisture? You got to try the DEFY Crystal Clear Waterproofing Sealer.
As the name says, this product is transparent, meaning it does not add pigment to your wood surface.
When wood is exposed to the sun for long, it starts to lose its color and looks dried out and washed. But there’s a solution to this issue.
See the way sunscreen protects the human skin from the sun? That’s the same way this product protects your wood from the sun.
Enhanced with zinc nanotechnology, the product sunscreen properties that filter out the UV rays. That keeps your wood from drying out or fading.
If you live in humid conditions, or if you’re concerned about the rain coming soon, a water-based sealer is more suitable than an oil-based one.
The DEFY Crystal Clear Waterproofing Sealer is a good water-based sealer that dries quickly, meaning your application is safe in case the rain falls.
Quality is what makes this unit better than its competitors. Made of the highest-grade resins, the product does not darken or fade easily. It could be three years before you need to reapply it.
- Dries clear to keep your wood’s natural color
- Water-based – dries faster and be applied to damp wood
- Enhanced with zinc nano-technology for sunscreen properties
- Prevents water-damage and fading from UV rays
- Durable – offers protection for years
- WATER-BASED, CLEAR COMPOSITE DECK SEALER – This water based, clear wood and deck sealer protects...
- FORTIFIED WITH ZINC NANO-PARTICLE TECHNOLOGY– It’s like sunscreen for your wood. Tiny zinc particles...
- EXTREMELY DURABLE, HIGH QUALITY RESINS – DEFY Composite Deck Sealer is made with the highest quality...
- QUALITY THAT LASTS – DEFY Extreme Composite Deck Sealer is a premium-grade, clear deck sealer that is...
6. KILZ Exterior Waterproofing Wood Stain
Kilz is a well-known name in the paints and sealers sector, being in the market for over 40 years now. For DIYers wanting to protect their surfaces, Kilz products are an ideal choice.
For wood stain and sealer to qualify as great, it needs to waterproof the surface and provide mildew resistance for a long time. Thinking along these lines, one product that will not disappoint you is the KILZ Exterior Waterproofing Wood Stain.
This is a translucent (semi-transparent) acrylic wood stain, meaning it adds protects the wood while keeping its grain visible.
Apart from that, the stain adds a little bit of redwood color to the wood. Thus, if your redwood deck, fence, furniture, or any other wood surface is starting to lose its luster, the product will help you restore it.
One reason why people love this product is that it is quite durable.
The liquid permeates through the surface and settles deep within to form a powerful block to moisture. It is a water resisting system that will stay in place for 3 years on decks and 5 years on fences.
When you’re done applying the stain, you needn’t use harsh chemicals to remove the product from your brush or sprayer. The product is water-based, so you can remove it easily with water and soap.
- Semi-transparent – keeps the grain visible
- Water-based product – easy clean-up with soap and water
- Locks the water out efficiently
- Mold and mildew-resistant
- A good exterior wood stain offers long-lasting protection, waterproofing and a mildew-resistant finish...
- Our 100% Acrylic formula protects wood from rain, snow and sun damage. This stain is warrantied up to 3...
- Use on properly prepared new to moderately weathered and unsealed exterior wood surfaces (0-10 years...
- This semi-transparent stain provides a mildew-resistant finish and UV protection. Coverage of up to 250...
7. Seal-Once Marine Penetrating Wood Sealer & Stain
In case you reside near the sea, or if a sea vessel is what you have in mind to protect using sealer and stain, then there's something you need to know. Salty seawater is more damaging to wood than freshwater.
Salt has an etching property, so your wood might wear at an increased rate. While that means disaster for your wood items, there’s hope.
What you need is a powerful sealer that will penetrate very deeply and create the strongest layer of protection from the salty water.
The Seal-Once Marine Penetrating Wood Sealer & Stain doesn’t just have deep penetration power. It comes with superior zinc nanotechnology that enables it to helps embed it in the wood strongly.
This technology keeps water at bay very reliably. Moreover, it filters out the UV rays, preventing them from giving your wood a dried-out appearance.
Though the product is water-based, it works like an oil-based sealer, without bringing the harmful chemicals of oil-based sealers.
The seal it creates is also flexible and breathable, meaning even if the wood expands or undergoes other changes, the seal will remain intact.
If you’re looking for a clear sealer that protects against the sun, rain, and mildew, this is one product you need to think about. It works on both fresh and saltwater.
- Water-based for easy clean-up with water and soap
- Non-toxic and low-VOC – safe for marine life, pets, people, etc.
- Dries clear
- Breathable and flexible – remains intact with wood changes
- Superior nanotechnology for deep penetration
8. Storm Protector Penetrating Stain & Sealer
Whether you want the best stain for a cedar fence, deck, or siding, the Storm Protector Penetrating Sealer & Stain is a product you can rely on.
This is an oil-based sealer that goes deep into almost all types of wood to protect them from water and harmful UV rays. But the product is not just a sealer. If your wood is becoming dull from exposure to water or sunlight, the staining properties of this product will come in handy.
The liquid is a penetrating stain that creates an embedded semi-transparent coating. With that, it highlights the natural shade of the wood without keeping the texture of the wood hidden.
When purchasing this product, you get to choose between 5 color options. The colors included are Sienna, Black Walnut, Cedartone, Pacific Redwood, and Hickory.
One thing I love about this product is how easy it is to apply. It features a nice, even consistency that you can apply using any method – brush, sprayer, or roller. You’ll be glad to see how well it goes on without leaving streaks or runs.
To protect the natural beauty of your wood while highlighting the original color, consider getting the Storm Protector Penetrating Sealer & Stain.
You can use it on mahogany, cypress, pine, redwood, cedar, and basically any type of wood.
- Oil-based with deep penetration
- Semi-transparent – enhances the original color without changing the texture
- Can be applied with a brush, sprayer, or roller
- Comes with 5 color options
- Works on all types of wood
- Wood deck protector - A true oil-based semi transparent stain and sealer meant to protect and highlight...
- Storm Wood Stain Protector is a semi transparent sealer that penetrates deep into the wood for added...
- Compatible with any wood species. Great for wood staining Mahogany, as a Mahogany sealer, Cedar sealer,...
- Great for Decks, Fences, Siding, and other Wood Substrates. Can be used as a wood fence protector or any...
9. Rain Guard Water Micro-Seal
Planning to seal all the wood surfaces in your home? Perhaps you’re looking to cover everything from the deck to the siding and fence. In that case, I’m going to tell you about a product that will help you seal all your wood surfaces while keeping the cost at a minimum.
That product is the Rain Guard Water Sealers Micro-Seal. This comes in a quantity of 5 gallons, with a coverage of 1500 square feet.
This liquid goes on clear, denoting the natural color of your wood doesn’t get altered. The finish is matte and it doesn’t go yellow over time.
What makes this product a favorable choice is that it excellently fits the description of a hydrophobic coating. No wonder it is called “Rain Guard”.
When you apply it to your cedar wood or any other wood for that matter, you can rest assured water will not penetrate the surface anymore.
Aside from water, the product protects surfaces from UV rays, which is a crucial benefit that prevents your surfaces from drying out.
Moreover, it keeps harmful elements such as silane and siloxane at bay, thereby keeping your wood surfaces intact with a natural finish.
For a clear, deep-penetrating sealer offered with affordability in mind, try the Rain Guard Water Sealers Micro-Seal. It will keep your wood or masonry protected for a few years.
- Deep-penetrating for long-lasting results
- Clear – doesn’t color the surface or add gloss
- Exceptionally water-repellent
- Works on both wood and masonry
- Inhibits mildew and mold
- Masonry Sealer: The stone sealer restores, protects and extends the life of any masonry, horizontal or...
- Water-Based Concrete Sealer: Does not alter surface appearance and does not leave a surface film. The...
- Sealant Spray: Use as a primer before painting to prohibit moisture transfer in the substrate or protect...
- Penetrating Concrete Sealer: 100% penetrating coating provides excellent resistance to water, salt spray,...
10. Seal It Green Xtreme BAMBOO Plant-Based Sealer
This list’s final product is one sealer that lasts a pretty long time – almost 10 years. Yet it is plant-based and free of harsh chemicals that hurt the environment.
The Seal It Green Xtreme BAMBOO Plant-Based Sealer is specifically created for sealing Bamboo. That said, it functions great on all types of wood from mahogany to walnut and cedar.
This is a sealer and not a stain, meaning it creates a transparent coating on wood. You, however, can paint the application with any oil-based paint or stain.
As a clear sealer, the product is able to protect your surface without concealing its natural color or texture.
Nonetheless, if you wanted a sealer and stain, you can still get it from this brand. On this product’s page, click on the color options presented. There are three choices – cedar, stone, and walnut.
What you will love most about the product is how easily it applies. It goes on without any trouble and amazingly, the wood sucks it up readily.
Apart from making the protection durable, the fast and deep penetration reduces the effort needed afterward of wiping the surface.
You can apply Seal it Green using a roller or sprayer, but it goes on easily with a brush. Even for beginners, leaving a streak-free finish is a piece of cake.
- Plant-based – doesn’t contain harsh chemicals
- Extremely resilient – provides protection for over 5 years
- Super resistant to water
- Deep penetrating for durability
- Works on all types of wood
- Clear, but there are colored options
- PROFESSIONAL LEVEL PROTECTION: Extreme Protection For Your Bamboo Deck, Dock Or Fence Without Toxic...
- EXTENDS THE LIFE OF YOUR DECK: Protects Bamboo And Exotic Wood Types From Water And UV Damage. SIG...
- NO MORE DAMAGE: Protects ALL Wood Types From End Grain Checking, UV Damage, Cupping, Cracking And Other...
- DEEP PENETRATING: Protection To The Core Is More Than A Tag Line. Extreme Bamboo Continues To Penetrate...
Comparison Table Of Top Cedar Fence Sealer
Ready Seal 512
1 gallon5 gallons
Yes – 8 options
Cabot Australian Timber Oil
1 quart1 gallon
Yes – 10 options
#1 Deck Premium Semi-Transparent Wood Stain
1 gallon2.5 gallons
Yes – 5 options
Thompsons Water Seal
DEFY Crystal Clear Waterproofing Sealer
KILZ Exterior Waterproofing Wood Stain
Yes – 5 colors
Rain Guard Water Sealers
1 gallon5 gallons
Seal It BAMBOO Plant-Based Sealer
Yes – 4 options
Best Sealer for Cedar Fence Buyer's Guide
Cedarwood is an immensely beautiful building material, especially for the fence. However, without proper maintenance, it can quickly get damaged by elements such as water and UV rays.
To keep your cedar fence looking great, you may want to maintain it with the best-quality sealer for cedar fence. To help you get the right product, I have compiled a list of the factors you should consider.
Type of Stain-
Like paints, sealers come with a range of stains. The major categories include:
The one you pick should depend on your preferences. Solid stain sealers come with an opaque color that completely masks the original color of your fence.
Clear sealers do not add any stain to the surface. They are ideal when you want to only seal the surface without making any change to the original color of the wood. These are perfect for new wood surfaces as they help retain the rich color.
Translucent sealers add color to the wood, but it is not so strong as to completely mask the original color. Moreover, they allow the grain and texture of the wood to remain visible.
Sealers take different timelines to dry. Some dry quickly and some do it slowly. The reason why this matters is that if, for instance, the rain falls on the applied sealer before it dries sufficiently, the application might get destroyed, requiring a fresh application.
Another reason why drying time is important is that when doing multiple coats, you have to wait for each coat to dry before applying the next.
If you reside in a place that has high humidity or the weather forecast is that the rain might come soon, you want a quick-drying sealer.
On the other hand, if you live in a place where it’s often sunny and dry, then you can get one that takes even 24 hours to dry.
Generally, water-based sealers dry in 4 to 6 hours while oil-based sealers take up to 24 hours to dry.
Moreover, while water-based sealers can take around 24 hours to cure, oil-based sealers could take up to 3 days.
When shopping for a sealer, you need to think about the size of what you’re sealing. If you’re only retouching a small section of the fence, even a gallon might be enough to seal the area.
In contrast, a wider area requires more product to seal.
Although sealers have varying coverage rates, the general rule is that a gallon covers 300 square feet. So, if you have 1500 square feet of fence space to seal, that means you need 5 gallons.
Keep in mind that oil-based sealers have better coverage than water-based ones. Moreover, while water-based sealers may require multiple coats, oil-based sealers usually do fine with just one coat.
When buying a sealer that is either translucent or solid-color, then you need to mull over the color. Wood colors vary greatly from light oak and dark walnut to pine and hickory.
Check whether the color of your wood is available in the array of options the seller is presenting for their product. Then, be sure to select the right color.
Water-Based or Oil-Based?
Sealers are usually either water-based or oil-based. The two classes have subtle differences that you need to mull over before you buy.
If you need something effective in terms of the protection level and durable as well, then an oil-based sealer is the better choice.
On the other hand, in case you want something that dries quicker and that is gentler on the environment, then a water-based sealer is the right selection.
In case you make a mistake when sealing with a water-based product, you can easily wash it out with water and soap. The same case applies to when you want to clean tools after application. It is much easier when the sealer is water-based. Removing oil-based sealers is more difficult.
People Also Asked (FAQs)
1. Do I Need to Seal the Cedar Wood?
Ans: Moisture is one of wood’s worst enemies. When wood absorbs it, it starts to expand and crack and starts to rot from the inside. If you want to protect your wood from these issues, sealing it is necessary.
2. How Long After Installing a Cedar Fence Should You Seal It?
Ans: A month to two months after installing your cedar fence is a good time to seal it. The waiting period is to give the wood enough time to lose the moisture it may have absorbed in the store.
3. How do You Keep a Cedar Wood Fence from Graying?
Ans: Cedar turns gray because of the drying out effect of the sun’s rays. The way to deal with that is to apply a good sealer and stain. An oil-based option is better as it penetrates the surface deeply and blocks out elements more efficiently.
4. Will a Cedar Wood Sealer Work for Other Types of Wood?
Ans: The amazing thing about cedarwood sealers is that they work for other varieties of wood as well. You can use them on mahogany, pine, walnut, oak, and virtually any other wood with the same great results.
If you have a wood fence made of cedar or any other wood, chances are that it looks wonderful. Wood is naturally beautiful. Furthermore, it is an inexpensive option and it is perfect for those of us with a taste to natural structures.
However, if you want to keep the appeal for a long time, then you need to maintain your fence properly. Thankfully, with the best sealer for cedar fence, that is a no-brainer.
By applying the sealer, you’re able to shut out the water, mold, mildew, insects, UV rays, and all other elements that can harm the wood.
I hope you’ve found the review above useful. Any of those products will work for not only your cedar fence but also any other wood structure you might have, be it decks, siding, shingles, or furniture. Moreover, the products work on all types of wood.