In the 21st century, there are very few forms of art that can be as mesmerizing and wonderful as stone sculptures.
However, you will need a specific set of tools to actually make your sculpting hit the mark, of which the most important one happens to be a chisel.
However, buying a premium chisel is not enough as you will also need the best chisel honing guide out there to maintain it properly.
Using this unit helps maintain the tool's sharpness and ensures that you can cut through the stone at the right angle with proper accuracy to maintain the sculpture's right shape.
ATLIN Honing Guide
5 out of 5
Robert Larson 800-1800 Honing Guide
5 out of 5
WEICHUAN Stainless Steel Honing Guide
4.5 out of 5
CartLife Honing Guide Jig for Wood Chisel
4 out of 5
Self-Centering Side Clamping Sharpening Honing Jig
4.5 out of 5
Best Chisel Honing Guide Reviews for The Money 2021
Below are 7 of the most top-notch chisel honing guides that you can currently find available in the market. Read on to discover all there is to know about them to make the best purchase for yourself!
1. ATLIN Honing Guide
Many orthodox, old-fashioned sculptors preach the practice of sharpening tools by hand and fixing their angles; however, this is a pretty harmful practice as it can end with you slicing off your finger.
To avoid this risk and to make the entire process more convenient, consider switching to this blade honing guide as it comes with a wide array of sharpening angles to choose from.
Newcomers in sculpting will mainly get a kick out of using this product as it comes with a thoroughly descriptive instructions manual to help them ease into using this product.
This chisel honing guide also comes with minimalistic honing jigs, which you can use for multiple purposes with the instructions' help.
One of the most redeeming qualities of using this product is the versatility that comes from using it in terms of sharpening angles.
You will love using this product as adjusting its tool projection ensures that you can change the sharpening angles with helpful markings on the unit for more convenience.
Although this is a pretty nifty chisel honing guide to have around, it does come with its very own set of flaws, which can mess up your tools.
The jaws of this product tend to be abnormally wide, which can result in incompatibility with most chisels and can reduce the accuracy with which you can hone them.
- Easy to use due to detailed instruction manual
- Minimal honing jigs for convenient use
- Multiple sharpening angles for universality
- Use of steel to avoid wearing out
- Easily Extend The Life Of Your Tools – Forget the days of trying to find the correct angle by hand or...
- Instructions Included – Honing jigs can appear deceptively simple, however there is more to them than...
- Choose Your Own Angle – All standard sharpening angles can be achieved using this sharpening jig by...
- Sizing & Compatibility – Self centering and fully adjustable, this sharpening guide will fit chisels...
2. Robert Larson 800-1800 Honing Guide
Many classic stone sculptors tend to go for a wood chisel for the proper experience and enjoyment from the art; however, they are pretty hard to maintain as most chisel honing guides are compatible with the more modern options.
Buying this option will significantly benefit them as it is perhaps the best chisel sharpening system for wooden chisels.
Holding down wooden chisels can be difficult as most of the honing guides cannot hold them properly, thus making it difficult to sharpen them.
Robert Larson ensures that your wood chisel will be securely held in place when using this product at the correct angle for it to work on the oil stone properly.
Finding the correct stone for a honing guide can be a challenging task as most of them lack universality when it comes to compatibility with them. However, this product works great on both oil stones and water stones, making it easier for you to get the ideal square edge when using it.
Although this honing guide is a fantastic option for wood chisels, it does have a huge issue when it comes to performance in terms of accuracy.
This product falls short when setting the angles, which might end up with the chisel not getting the desired shape.
- Compatible with wooden chisels
- Accurately secures chisels for working on oil stones
- Universality to work with both oil stones and water stones
- Total 3-inch width to accommodate plane irons
- Country Of Origin: Taiwan, Province Of China
- Model Number: 800-1800
- Item Package Dimension: 5.0" L x 5.0" W x 2.0" H
- Item Package Weight: 1.0 lb
3. WEICHUAN Stainless Steel Honing Guide
One of the greatest ironies of using a honing guide is how most of them don’t have great longevity, although they are used to lengthen the chisels’ longevity.
However, buying this product will go a long way before you have to think about replacements as it is extremely sturdy due to a stainless steel body that prevents rusting.
Nowadays, most of the chisel honing guides can be very one dimensional as their functionality doesn’t extend over a single tool. WEICHUAN ensures that this is the best chisel honing guide for versatility because it is useful for knives and wooden chisels while also ensuring efficiency in achieving the edge you prefer.
Another great feature about this product happens to be how simplistic it is to use, making it an excellent choice for veteran sculptors and beginners alike.
The guide is easily movable, making it easy to adjust the angles of the product, which works significantly in combination with brass roller glides.
Even though this is a fantastic product to have around, it does come with a particular set of flaws you need to know before buying it.
Among its multiple drawbacks, the most significant one happens to be the poor finishing of the jaws, making it fall behind in efficiency, which also stems from the seams not being knocked down.
- Greater longevity from the stainless steel body
- Equally useful for both knives and chisels
- Easily movable for quick and precise angle adjustments
- Brass roller glides to easily accommodate chisels
- High quality stainless steel honing guide with brass roller.
- Extend wood chisel and planer blade, with new perfect edges.
- Fit for planer blade from 1-3/8” to 3-1/8” in width, chisels from 5/16” to 2-1/4” in width.
- Move the guide up/down on the blade, to increase/decrease the angle. The brass roller slides, easy to...
4. CartLife Honing Guide Jig for Wood Chisel Edge Sharpening
Among the many products that you will find in this list, this is the only honing guide review which talks about the aesthetic emphasis of the product.
This unit sports a black and blue combination that really makes it pop and stand out in your sculpting kit.
One of the biggest concerns when buying a chisel honing guide is the jig’s roller wheel wears out over time, which decreases its utility and requires you to make frequent replacements.
CartLife took care of this issue with this product by using carbon steel on the jig’s roller wheel, which ensures it doesn’t lose its value over time while increasing its durability.
Accommodation is a huge problem when using chisel honing guides because these products typically tend to work on only a singular chisel size.
Purchasing this unit means that you will never have to think of buying another one if you go for a different chisel size.
For, it has clamps that can adjust the width of the sharpening guide from 1/8” to 1-7/8” while the plane irons have a range of 1-3/8” to 3-1/8”.
You need to be extra cautious when using this product because it has a few noteworthy flaws which can cause inconveniences in the future.
Among them, the biggest problem is the lack of universality, which makes it inefficient in sharpening some of the chisels' edges.
- Adjustable clamps for a wide compatibility range
- Use of carbon steel to lengthen the lifespan of roller jigs
- Informative instructions manual provided for easy use
- Looks really nice
- ✅【Sturdinless Constructure】The CartLife Honing Guide Jigs used a hardened carbon steel roller wheel...
- ✅【Adjustable Clamping Width】Adjust the Clamping Width by Rotating the Screw-Cap.This sharpening...
- ✅【Accurately Setting Angle】Sharpening angles can be accurated to set using CartLife's sharpening...
- ✅【Easy to Use / Method】Honing Jigs seems simple to use, however maybe you are confused in the first...
5. Self-Centering Side Clamping Sharpening Honing Jig
Very few chisel honing guides are available at an affordable price while also supporting a lot of different chisels and plane irons in varying sizes.
However, this product is a rare exception as it has a width range of 1/16” – 3”, ensuring that it can firmly hold down various tools and greatly elevate their sharpness and edges.
The chisel honing guide's wheels can be a huge factor when purchasing them as most products have ones that easily get stuck when operating or wear out quickly.
Taylor Toolworks takes care of this issue when it comes to this product by introducing hardened steel to the wheel, which ensures that it revolves efficiently to sharpen stones swiftly.
Chisel material is an important factor that you need to consider when buying a honing guide because most of them are not compatible with all materials.
However, you will never have to worry about this issue when having this unit as it is usable on materials including wood, stone, and even diamonds.
There isn’t much to discuss when it comes to drawbacks and flaws of this product other than a few minor problems.
Among them, the most noteworthy one that comes to mind is the product tends to be initially out of tune, and therefore, you will need to tune and get it to shape before you use it on your chisel.
- 1/6” to 3” width range for accommodating more tools
- Hardened steel wheel for faster rotation
- Usable on wide chisel manufacturing materials
- Center wheel helps to put cambers on plane blades through rotation
- Side clamping honing guide securely holds wide variety of chisels and plane irons to attain sharp,...
- Sharpens chisels and plane irons from 1/16” to full 3” wide
- Ground and hardened steel center wheel easily glides across sharpening stones
- Center wheel allows pivoting blades to put camber on plane blades
6. TECKE Stainless Steel Honing Guide for Chisel
An annoying experience that most sculptors have to go through when sharpening their chisels with honing guides happens to be the movement's limitations, making these products difficult to operate.
Keeping this problem in mind, this unit features a design that resembles a roller to give you more space for movement while sharpening your tools.
There can be no question about durability when using this product, as TECKE ensures that only the most premium materials go into manufacturing them.
Using stainless steel and brass as the main component of this chisel honing guide, they won’t wear down over time or get rust and corrosion into it.
You will be amazed by how many tools this unit can maintain; once you purchase this item, you will be able to maintain almost all your sculpting devices.
This item is perfect for maintaining chisel, planer, graver, plane iron, and many other devices, making it the most convenient to have around to cater to nearly all the needs of a sculptor.
Although this chisel honing guide is universal for use on multiple tools, it fails to maintain consistency on most of them, which can seem annoying if you buy it without not knowing about it.
Working perfectly on chisels, it falls short when sharpening plane irons due to too many rods in the body.
- Roller-like design for conveniently moving tools when sharpening
- Stainless steel body to resist rusting
- Maintains a wide variety of tools for greater convenience
- Adjustable sharpening angle for easy maintenance
- Brass and stainless steel roller design, give you more choice, and make move back and forth without...
- Keep the same direction, anti-slip, smooth and safe.
- You can adjust clamping width by rotating the screw-cap, clamping width range is from 8-82mm(0.31-3.23")
- Support plane iron max clamping width to 82mm(3.23") Support chisel max clamping width to 55mm (2.17").
7. Honing Guide and Angle Tool Set
Very few products can be on the same levels as this chisel honing guide when it comes to its superior jigs. Perhaps the best chisel sharpening jig out there, combine this unit with a sharpening whetstone or the conventional whetstone, and the edges of your planer blades and chisels will never be more accurate than ever!
Many chisels honing guides can be difficult to operate and move around because of how heavy they tend to be, which can ruin their performance efficiency.
KNIFEPLANET easily takes care of this problem by introducing compactness to the angle guide to easily keep your tools in the correct angle when honing them.
There can be no question when it comes to this product’s quality as this product is self-centering to make sure that your chisel doesn’t move out of place when using it. Flat jaws are also included with this unit so that it can clamp onto mortise chisels, which is absent on most of its competitors.
Although no other chisel honing guides are as good as this product when it comes to its jigs, it does have a glaring fault that you need to be aware of in advance.
The body of this product can be cheap and flimsy, and therefore it doesn’t hold up angles as well as its competitors.
- Accurate edges due to jig and whetstone combination
- Compact build for keeping the angle stable
- Usable on mortise chisels due to inclusion of flat jaws
- Extremely light in weight for easy portability
Chisel Honing Guide Buying Guide
Buying a chisel honing guide can be a taxing task because of how one wrong purchase can lead to you ruining your entire sculpting kit. Keep a lookout for the following factors when buying the best chisel sharpening system.
Build materials play an important role when buying a chisel honing guide as they determine the longevity and product quality.
The more premium the components that go into making the item, the more durable it gets, and you won’t need to make frequent replacements.
When you’re looking to buy a chisel honing guide, be sure to buy the ones that have wrought iron and stainless steel as their primary manufacturing component, as they tend to last the longest. Furthermore, they help keep rust and corrosion at bay.
Chisel angles are important to the honing guide because it plays a pivotal role in determining its overall utility.
The more angles it can accommodate, the more variations of chisels and tools it will be able to sharpen, making it more useful.
Go for a chisel angle with a width of 25 to 30 degrees as that is the most type of angle in which chisels are available.
Therefore, you will be able to use the honing guide on most types of sculpting tools out there, ensuring that you won’t have to look for replacements every time you change your kit.
Chisel honing guides aren’t only meant to support just one type of tool and maintain it; the premium options among these products can easily maintain other sculpting tools.
The more devices it is compatible with for maintenance, the better the product is. In fact, to be the best chisel honing guide, great compatibility is a must.
The best products of this kind are compatible with tools, including chisel, planer, plane iron, and just about every other tool you can find in your sculpting toolset. Be sure to go for these chisel honing guides, as you will get a one-stop solution for keeping all of your tools in check.
Most chisel honing guides go for one set of jaws, which means that you cannot use it for more than one type of chisel.
However, go for products that go with more unconventional jaws as attachments, like flat jaws, so you can easily use them to sharpen mortise chisels too.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the Angle At Which Chisels Should Be Honed?
A brand-new chisel typically has only one bevel, which is mostly 25 degrees. To make a new bevel and to sharpen it appropriately, try to do it at a 30-degree angle to get the best results.
2. What is the Best Way to Sharpen a Chisel?
If you’re a purist, then the best you to get your chisel sharpened up is to use a whetstone as it is a simple yet effective method to keep the tool in check.
However, if you’re new to sculpting and want to sharpen your chisel in a safe way, go for a honing guide instead.
3. What Angle Does a Chisel Have?
Chisels ideally have two different angles. The first one is a shallow, large angle that is typically set to 25 degrees, while the other—called the cutting angle—is at 30 degrees.
4. What is the Importance of a Second Bevel on a Chisel?
Having a secondary bevel on your chisel will make it easier to use on hand-held projects. Therefore, most sculptors tend to prefer a chisel with two different bevels.
5. What is the Best Sharpening System for Chisels?
When it comes to sculptors, no sharpening systems are as convenient and efficient as a chisel honing guide. It is perfect for achieving the right efficiency in sharpening and fixing the edges of a large variety of tools.
In the past, selecting a tool that can help keep your sculpting gear in check might have seemed like a difficult task. But now that you have gone through our detailed and substantial reviews, now you know exactly how to get the best chisel honing guide for yourself.
All that's left now is to pack up your gear and head over to working on a slab of stone. Now, you can create as many sculptures as you want without ever having to worry about your tools wearing out ever again!