Due to advancements in technology, making furniture has become a very comfortable and satisfying task.
Due to the creation of various tools for carpentry and woodwork, making entire furniture parts is a matter of a few minutes with a level of efficiency that was never achievable by crafting furniture by hand.
Among the various devices that have made a carpenter's life very easy, the most notable one happens to be the carbide woodturning tools.
Having a set of the best carbide woodturning tools ensures that you will never have to worry about excess time consumption or miscalculations on furniture dimensions ever again!
Savannah 3 Piece Carbide Mini Turning Tool Set
5 out of 5
YUFUTOL Carbide Woodturning Tool
5 out of 5
Simple Woodturning Tools COMBO
4.5 out of 5
3 Piece Carbide Woodturning Tools
4 out of 5
Carbide Tipped Woodturning Tool
4.5 out of 5
Top 6 Best Carbide Woodturning Tools on The Market
Below are reviews of 6 of the most popular carbide woodturning tools available in the market. Keep on reading to discover the products' features in detail and the perks and disadvantages of owning them to understand which one will suit your needs the best.
1. Savannah 3 Piece Carbide Mini Turning Tool Set
Undoubtedly one of the best woodturning tools out there, using this product will make the entire task of processing wood seem effortless.
Requiring no sharpening, it spares you of one of the most painful parts of maintaining your carbide woodturning tools. Also, the lower base of the bars is flat, allowing you to turn just about any project.
Compared to other carbide cutters, the ones on this product tend to be sharper and easily replaceable if they do end up becoming dull. Coming with two different cutter styles and a couple of extra screws, you can easily attach a new replacement if the cutters become dull in the middle of work.
Savannah came up with a feature when manufacturing this product that can be considered innovative in the field of carbide woodturning tools.
You will have to keep the cutters of this product in a straight line when applying it to wood, which will help create cleaner cuts in comparison to the traditional methods their competitors use. This makes the process more convenient too.
You might get easily hooked to this product due to all the convenient features and the innovative perks it has to offer, but we recommend you consider the flaws that come with using it as well.
Among the many problems that arise from using these carbide woodturning tools, the most notable one is the lack of carbide labeling or the missing list of thread sizes, making it difficult to use if you’re a beginner to carpentry.
- Flat lower base for versatility in turning
- Extra cutters and screws for more convenience
- Cleaner cuts from straight infiltration
- Easy wood turning on your lathe with Savannah Carbide Turning tools. We all know how "enjoyable"...
- When the carbide cutter on the tool finally dulls, simply loosen the cutter screw, rotate the tip and...
- Unlike standard wood turning tools, when using carbide tipped cutters, you keep the cutter straight in on...
- Each mini turning tool has a Flush Fit Comfort Grip handle. Each handle is approx. 9-1/8" long and has a...
2. YUFUTOL Carbide Woodturning Tool Mini Size
A look with the naked eye might give you the idea that this is an unimpressive product initially, but once you start using it, you will become a fan of this woodturning toolset.
You will be getting a mini finisher, a detailer, and a rougher with each purchase of this unit, making it a one-stop-shop for all your furniture tuning needs.
Beginners will really enjoy using this product as it sports a straightforward design with a wooden handle. YUFUTOL went with an uncomplicated design when manufacturing this product as they removed the tricky angles. This will let you get a kick out of using it regardless of your mastery level in carpentry.
To further emphasize the simplicity of using this product, it features a very minimal design at a size that makes it easy to manage.
With a total length of 12.6”, the product is shaped to remain flat when placed on the tool rest and maintain level with the floor, letting you chip away chunks of wood without having to worry about it getting disproportional.
Regardless of this carbide woodturning toolset sporting a minimal design with many options, it has significant flaws that stem from its build quality.
The metal posts have a very high chance of getting crooked to the handles while the brass sleeves will come off after some days of using, which shows low quality.
- Three different variations for greater convenience
- Minimal design for elevated compatibility
- Manageable total length of 12.6”
- Combo Set Include: 3 Pieces Wood Turning Tools(Mini Finisher/Rougher/Detailer),Carbide Insert Cutters And...
- Dimension：Length of Tool Bar 4.72"(120mm) ，Length of wood handle：7.87"（200mm），Overall length...
- Set includes 2pcs Round 12mm carbide cutters, 2pcs Square 11mm carbide cutters and 2pcs Diamond with...
- Easy to use:greatly simplified learning curving when turning,No complicated angles to learn and...
3. Simple Woodturning Tools COMBO
If you’re a beginner who’s just getting into woodturning, then this product will seem like one of the best carbide cutters for woodturning to you.
This model comes with a simplistic design, making it easy to use, and you won’t have to worry about techniques. Just sharpen the tool and get right down to work once you have purchased it.
When selecting carbide woodturning tools, you need to get one with a good handle as a solid grip is necessary to have the wood gain proper shape.
Simple took special care of this requirement when manufacturing this unit as the handles are made of premium aluminum to ensure that they hold the wood in place properly.
If you’re a carpentry enthusiast who needs a carbide woodturning tool for DIY projects and small-scale furniture, then this product will be an excellent choice. The CNC of this tool is made of 3/8” processed stainless steel with a total size of 12”, making it suitable for easy handling while also significantly increasing its durability.
Although this product is an excellent fit for beginners, there are a particular set of problems that you will need to be aware of before using it.
Among them, the most significant one happens because the blades do not come sharpened, so you will need to tune it at first, which can be annoying.
- Medium-sized length for using on home projects
- Stainless steel CNC for greater sturdiness level
- Aluminum handling for excellent grip
- Simplistic design to eliminate the need for a technique
- Benefits of Carbide Lathe Tools: Simple to use for all skill levels making woodturning fast and more...
- Handle Details: The most beautiful, solid aluminum lathe tool handle on the market, 100% USA made by...
- Mid Size Tool Details: Premium quality, American-made, CNC machined from 3/8” square stainless steel,...
- Tool Use: The mid size Simple Turner & Hollower is ideal for turning small bowls, handles, bottle...
4. Tenfer Carbide Woodturning Tools 3 Piece
If you’re someone who doesn’t prefer to sharpen their carbide woodturning tools every time they need to work on a project, then this product will be the perfect fit.
A set of simple woodturning tools, every purchase of this unit comes with extra cutters to fit into the unit and let you resume work, thus avoiding the time-consuming process of sharpening.
Universality is a great feature you will get when using this product due to its unique size. With a total length of 16.2”, this toolset can handle a wide variety of projects, ranging from small-scale options like pens and goblets up to much larger ones like barrels and bows.
Using carbide woodturning tools over a long time can become quite painful and significantly affect your arms because of the vibrations that emit from it when operational.
To eliminate this issue, Tenfer used soft handles when manufacturing this toolset to alleviate the vibration while also increasing the grip to maintain accuracy.
Although this is a great toolset to have around due to its incredible versatility and comfort, you must be aware of a specific set of flaws before choosing to buy it.
This carbide woodturning tool's body is not flat, which causes it to roll when in use, thus significantly increasing its possibility of causing tear outs.
- Replaceable cutters to eliminate sharpening
- Total length of 16.2” for handling various projects
- Soft handle for vibration elimination
- Digs deep into the wood for clean cuts
- 【Several upgrade】Improvement on the connection of handle and shaft, it won't come loose. 2. The steel...
- Our wood tools can handle not only small projects like pens, knobs and goblets, but also large ones like...
- 3 cutters pre-installed and 3 extra Free replacement cutters. These carbide cutters are sharper, harder...
- Balanced length and weight ensuring safe and enjoyable time with your wood projects. Handles covered by...
5. Carbide Tipped Woodturning Tool
Nowadays, most carbide turning tools reviews show that many such products offer cutter replacements. However, they require replacing the moment their handle wears out. Fortunately, you won’t have to worry about the handle failing you for a long time after buying, as each purchase comes with two handles.
Very few carbide woodturning tools can measure up to this unit in terms of durability, which can let you use it for a long time.
Asieg Tools ensured that the most premium combination went into making this toolset, which includes aluminum alloy, Tungsten Carbide, and high carbon steel so that it can withstand prolonged use without sustaining any dents or damage.
Unlike most shaft tools, you will never have to worry about this unit getting damaged when kept idle. Manufactured by CNC machines, this carbide woodturning toolset features a square design instead of the more conventional circular one so that they remain level on the floor and don’t roll off.
Although this product is bound to serve you well, and there can be no question about its stellar longevity, there are a few problems it poses that you need to know in advance.
Even though this model provides multiple handle replacements, it won’t be able to withstand constant use because, in the end, it is just an aluminum tube.
- Multiple aluminum handles for quick replacements
- Combination of premium materials for superior durability
- Square shaped design for easy placement on tool rest
- 9 different pieces for versatile application
- Replaceable Handle：Match 2pcs black aluminum alloy handle. Of course, you can also DIY the handle you...
- Material: aluminum alloy, STAINLESS STEEL, Tungsten Carbide
- Mid Size Tool Details: CNC machined from square STAINLESS STEEL, making them stronger, stiffer and less...
- Indexable Replacement carbide insert design: matched with Carbide Insert, Indexable give you fresh edge...
6. Easy Wood Tools 3-Piece Carbide Micro Turning Set
If you ever come across a list that ranks the best carbide woodturning tools currently available, you’re bound to see this unit presented there due to its high portability level.
Coming in a nifty plastic case, you can easily carry this product around without worrying about losing any of the components.
One of the best features of this product is how small each of its components is, making them relatively easy to operate without tiring your arms.
The first noticeable component is its micro finisher, which will help polish the wood and make it suitable for fitting on furniture with ease.
Another great perk of using this carbide woodturning tool is how easily replaceable the cutters are, which spares you the pain of having to sharpen the component whenever they turn blunt.
Furthermore, the cutters are also rotatable so that you can comfortably use them while also efficiently tuning out your wood.
While you might find this carbide woodturning tool very convenient due to its small size and supreme portability, it has the noteworthy error of being very basic.
With only three different components, there aren’t many DIY projects where you will be able to apply this unit, and even if you do, the finesse won’t be up to the mark.
- Small in size for easy handling
- Comes in a plastic container for convenience in portability
- Rotatable cutters for efficiency in tuning wood
- Set of three tools for effectively curing simple wooden projects
Comparison Chart of Top Woodturning Tools
Savannah 3 Piece Tool Set
15 x 11 x 4 inches
YUFUTOL Carbide Woodturning Tool
12.68 x 2.72 x 2.72 inches
Wood and Steel
Simple Woodturning Tools COMBO
12 x 2 x 12 inches
Tenfer 3 Piece Woodturning Tools
18.1 x 8.1 x 1.7 inches
Wood and Steel
Carbide Tipped Woodturning Tool
11.81 x 2.76 x 2.76 inches
High Carbon Steel, Aluminum Alloy, and Tungsten Carbide
Easy Wood Tools 3-Piece
13.19 x 11.18 x 2.52 inches
Carbide Woodturning Tools Buying Guide
Buying carbide woodturning tools can be difficult as there are so many options currently available in the market, with each of them having its own unique features. However, if you keep an eye out for the following factors when purchasing, you can find the ideal fit for yourself.
Unlike what the majority has to say, size matters when you’re looking forward to buying tools for making wooden furniture or crafts. The top carbide woodturning tools come in different sizes so that you can make crafts of various scales with supreme efficiency.
When you’re going to buy such products, keep in mind that the best carbide woodturning tools have an overall length of 16-17 inches so that you can use them easily on a large variety of projects. Products of this length are known for their versatility and convenience.
It’s important that you inspect each of the woodturning toolsets carefully and see the available components with each purchase as it plays a crucial role in its versatility. The more versatile the toolset, the more types of projects you can apply it to.
Be sure to go for carbide woodturning toolsets that come with at least six pieces of equipment so that you can use it with precision on different types of crafts. You will be efficiently able to give shape to the wood and tune it to perfection.
Many carpentry enthusiasts and veterans alike tend to forget that carbide woodturning tools need to be very sturdy and durable so that it can work on wood without getting damaged themselves and serve for a long time. Therefore, it is essential to emphasize the build materials when purchasing this product.
Currently, the most premium carbide woodturning tools have stainless steel, tungsten, or aluminum as their primary build material. These make the unit substantially harder than their competitors while also allowing them to sustain rough use.
Many carpenters seem to make the mistake of focusing only on the carbine woodturning tool’s performance rather than the comfort of the product itself.
You need to keep in mind that you may have to use the product for a prolonged period at a stretch and therefore need to emphasize the handle.
When looking to buy your very own carbide woodturning chisels, avoid going for the ones with a metallic handle because they won’t absorb vibrations well. Instead, go for the ones with rubber or soft handles. These units will significantly increase your grip during use while also control the vibrations properly.
One of the most important factors to be observant about when buying a carbide woodturning tool is the overall sharpness of the product. The sharpness of the tool plays a very important role in determining how effective it can be when tuning and shaping up the furniture.
It’s absolutely important that your carbide woodturning tool be razor-sharp at all times as it will tune in your wood efficiently and faster than ever.
Always look for the ones that come with whetstone or diamond stone as an attachment so that you can sharpen it instantly if it seems to be underperforming.
People Also Asked (FAQs)
1. How Long Does the Average Carbide Woodturning Tool Work?
Answer: If you plan to use a carbide woodturning tool for rigorous purpose, then the average product will not last for around 4-6 months. However, if you plan on using them occasionally, then it should last a bit longer.
2. Which Is The Best Brand For Manufacturing Carbide Woodturning Tools?
Answer: Many brands in the market are known for making amazing carbide woodturning tools. However, carpentry enthusiasts and veterans alike will agree that PSI Woodworking and Savannah are two of the best brands for this product because of their dependability.
3. Which Kind of Carbide Woodturning Tools Should Beginners Use?
Answer: For beginners, it’s always best to go for tools with small gouges as they are the safest to use. Ideally, the tools with a gouge of ¼” to ¾” are recommended for amateurs to get into woodworking.
4. What Is The Ideal Drying Time For Wood Before Turning?
Answer: If you plan on air-drying your wood, then you will need to let it dry for a year for every inch of the thickness of the wood. Although there are many factors to consider, this method is considered as a general rule of thumb.
5. Is Pine A Good Option For Turning Wood?
Answer: Pine is an excellent option for beginner carpentry enthusiasts. The wood is quite soft and therefore, you will be able to shape them efficiently. The wood works greatly on a skew chisel too.
Woodturning might seem like a difficult task to many. But now that you have read through our articles, you now precisely know the best carbide woodturning tools that will make this task seem like a moment's job.
So, without wasting any time, you should make your pick from our reviews. Take help from our buying guide to get an idea what the ideal product should have.
After that, all that’s left is to head over to your workstation and get the wood ready. Making DIY projects and furniture will now feel easier than ever!
Recommended Article To Read:
- How to Choose Wood Filament: A Complete Guide 2022 - July 17, 2021
- 10 Best Propane Forge Reviews in 2022 - June 30, 2021
- Best Circular Saw Blade for Plywood : Top 10 Picks - June 30, 2021