A PAIR OF GEORGE II CARVED GILTWOOD SIDE TABLES A rare and important pair of early 18th century carved giltwood side tables in the manner of William Kent. The rectangular replaced ‘brèche de Medici’ marble tops on moulded apron with stiff leaf carving centred by a finely carved Venus shell cartouche issuing garland swags of oak leaves; on four square section acanthus and guilloche carved cabriole legs terminating in hairy paw and claw feet. The design of these tables relate to several examples inspired if not drawn by William Kent. In particular a well documented table from Houghton Hall, Norfolk supplied to Robert Walpole. Here the distinctive cabriole leg also features the acanthus leaf and guilloche carving, but finishes in a scroll and block toe. The oak leaf garlands are here interspersed with acanthus leaf. William Kent was hugely inspired by the Grand Tour and brought Roman-influenced symbolic decoration like the Venus-shell and Jupiter’s sacred oak into fashion. English, circa 1730 Height: 33 in; 84 cm Width: 40 ½ in; 103 cm Depth: 24 ¼ in; 61.5 cm Literature: F. Lenygon, ‘Furniture in England from 1660-1760’, London, 1914, figures 189, 190 & 191. M. Jourdain, ‘The Work of William Kent’, London, 1948, plates 134 &138.