A PAIR OF GEORGE III GILTWOOD MIRRORS A highly important pair of mid 18th century Chippendale period carved giltwood rectangular border glass mirrors retaining most of the original plates, divided by a fillet supporting opposing carved eagles and having columns either side. The elaborate scrolled border glass frames consisting of numerous ‘C’ scrolls and foliate carved branches. Note: A pair of mirrors of extremely similar design were in the collection of the late Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, at Clarence House. Some border plates are 18th century replacements. English, circa 1765 Height: 6 ft 10 ½ in; 209.5 cm Width: 3 ft 8 ½ in; 113 cm Literature: R. A. Woods, FSA, ‘English Furniture in The Bank of England’, 1972, illus. 62; a similar use of a carved bird on a dividing fillet. H. Hayward and P. Kirkham, ‘William and John Linnell, Eighteenth Century London Furniture Makers’, 1980, Vol II, p. 98, plate 187; a drawing showing elements used in the current pair of mirrors. D. Coombs, ‘Queen Elizabeth's Collection’, The Antique Collector, 1990, August, p. 34.