A PAIR OF GEORGE III CARVED GILTWOOD PIER MIRRORS An outstanding pair of mid 18th century Chippendale period carved giltwood border glass mirrors, retaining mainly original gilding and having 18th century replaced plates divided by floral and foliate carved slips within a lobed and arched frame, having acanthus and foliate carving to the sides with beautifully carved heads above; having an arched cabochon ruffled top with asymmetrical acanthus cresting flanked by opposing birds either side and a shaped apron centred by an acanthus clasp. The feature of carved heads and their drawing in particular, would justify an attribution to Matthias Lock, although the lightness of the overall design and the beautiful free rococo leaf carving are more in the style of Thomas Chippendale, thus leaving a firm attribution still open. The quality of the carving and the harmonious design however associated with both workshops, speak for themselves. Note: Backing frame is a 19th century replacement. English, circa 1765 Height: 8 ft 10 in; 269.5 cm Width: 4 ft 6 ½ in; 138.5 cm Provenance: Charles Duveen, London, circa 1930. Literature: Thomas Chippendale, ‘The Gentleman and Cabinet Maker’s Director’, 1st edition, 1754, pl. CXLIV. Thomas Chippendale, ‘The Gentleman and Cabinet Maker’s Director’, 3rd edition, 1763, pl. CLXX.