A PAIR OF GEORGE III CARVED GILTWOOD MIRRORS A fine and important pair of mid 18th century carved giltwood border glass mirrors in the manner of William and John Linnell, having 18th century replacement plates divided by a rocaille carved fillet, with straight cresting surmounted by stylised pierced foliate plumes, and serpentine sides with pierced C-scrolls with cascading floral garlands; having shaped apron centred by a foliate cartouche. Note: This outstanding pair of mirrors shares many similarities with a pair of pier glasses supplied by John Linnell to Stowhead, Wiltshire and with a sketch of a mirror now in The Victoria and Albert Museum, London. English, circa 1765 Height: 6 ft 11 ¾ in; 213 cm Width: 3 ft 4 in; 101.5 cm Provenance: Mrs. Enid Annenberg Haupt, New York, supplied by Parish-Hadley Inc. Literature: Pat Kirkham, Helena Hayward, ‘William and John Linnell, Eighteenth Century London Furniture Makers’, London, 1980, Vol II, p.94, illus. 180; p.100, illus. 191. Illustrated: House & Garden, ‘Best in Decoration’, New York, 1987, illus. pp. 126/7.