My Ronald Phillips Sign Out +44 (0)20 7493 2341

A pair of George giltwood side tables by Marsh & Tatham designed by Charles Heathcote Tatham. These outstanding tables were once part of a suite of at least twelve tables commissioned for George Granville Leveson-Gower, Marquess of Stafford and 1st Duke of Sutherland for Cleveland House, later re-named Bridgwater House in London. When George inherited Cleveland House he also inherited a vast collection of paintings from the Orleans collection from his uncle which was to be housed in a vast picture gallery at Bridgwater House. The suite of dolphin tables formed part of the furnishings for this gallery. The stone slabs for those tables were actually bought some 50 years earlier by his father. Those slabs not only varied in type of stone but also varying in size from 85 in in width to 76 in, 56 in, 54 1/4 in to the smallest one 45 in resulted in the tables being of five varying widths. The largest pair of table with pink granite tops is still in the collection of the Duke of Sutherland at Mertoun on the Scottish borders whilst the other tables are in collections around the world including a pair with veneered stone tops at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, a single with an African Breccia top at the Fishmongers Hall in London and a single with a porphyry top at the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge, to name but a few.

Literature: John Cornforth, Mertoun-Berwickshire-II, Country Life magazine, 9 June 1966, fig.3; F. Herman, Collection Classics, The Connoisseur magazine, June 1966, p. 103; C. Proudfoot, D. Watkin, The Furniture of C.H. Tatham-II, Country Life magazine, 8 June 1972, pp. 1481-1486; D. Pearce, London Mansions, London 1986, fig. 135; Christie's, John Harris, Treasures of the North, London 2000, p. 138, item 102; T. Buckrell Pos, Tatham and Italy - Influences on English Neoclassical Design, Furniture History society journal, 2002, pp. 58-82; Katherine S. Howe, Rienzi - European Decorative Arts and Paintings, Houston 2008, pp. 91-92, 203, 211; Susan Weber, William Kent - Designing Georgian Britain, New York 2013, p. 604, fig.21.17.

  • /Media/PhillipsLtdMedia/Layout/images/provenanc.jpg

  • Provenance

    Commissioned by George Granville Leveson-Gower, Marquess of Stafford and 1st Duke of Sutherland for Cleveland House, London, England; M. Harris & Sons Ltd., London, England; Blairman & Son Ltd., London, England; Private collection, England.


YOU HAVE RECENTLY VIEWED ITEMS

Make an enquiry
simon-phillips
  • Name: * Phone: E-mail: *
  • Comment:
  • CAN WE HELP YOU?
  • +44 (0)20 7493 2341
  • ADVICE@RONALDPHILLIPS.CO.UK