A GEORGE III MAHOGANY BUREAU CABINET An extremely fine mid 18th century Chippendale period carved mahogany and parcel gilt bureau cabinet, the moulded swan-neck pediment with gothic arcaded blind fretwork terminating in flower heads centred by a foliate carved urn finial above the two original rectangular mirror panelled doors with a leaf and rocaille carved sight edge, the interior fitted with shelves and drawers, the sloping fall front enclosing a fitted interior including a mirrored door flanked by imbricated volutes, above four graduated long drawers mounted with original gilt-brass handles and escutcheon plates; raised on carved ogee bracket feet. English, circa 1760 Height: 7 ft 10 ½ in; 240 cm Width: 3 ft 10 ¼ in; 117.5 cm Depth: 1 ft 11 ½ in; 60 cm This handsome bureau cabinet with its rich mahogany veneers is related to a design for a similar one by George Speer, dated 1763, illustrated in Anthony Coleridge, ‘George Speer’, Apollo, October 1970, p. 281, pl. 12. This bureau cabinet came from the celebrated collection assembled at Wateringbury Place. The house was built in 1707 by Sir Thomas Style and remained in the family until the mid 19th century, before being re-acquired by the family just after the Second World War. The house contained a superb collection of English furniture that was dispersed in one of the largest late post-war sales in 1978. Provenance: David Style Esq., Wateringbury Place, Kent, until sold; Christie’s, 31 May 1978, lot 130, by whom acquired; Mallett & Son Antiques Ltd.; Private Collection.